Mismatched Compatibility (9)

Dana: 

Splash!

I moaned.

Splash!

My head turned, feeling the soft fabric against my cheek. I frowned and slowly opened my eyes. It was dark. The only light in the room came from outside the window.

Hold on . . . I was in my room at the Tyler Residence . . . How did I get here?

Splash!

My eyes instinctively followed the sound. I climbed out of bed and walked towards the window. The moon and stars were already out to enjoy the night. I looked down and saw a broad bare back swimming in the pool.

No doubt it was Ethan.

My assumption was right when he stopped swimming to catch his breath. He leaned his head on the edge of the pool and just relaxed there.

Hmm. He looked quite handsome – and sexy. It saddened me a little bit that he didn't want commit to any girl. And by the time that he would decide to settle down, I would undeniably envy that girl.

I didn't realize I was watching him for several minutes already until I heard myself sigh. I backed away from the window, quickly going to the bathroom. I went to the sink, turned on the faucet, and washed my face.

“Why did I sigh?” I murmured to myself.

To my dismay, I received no answer from myself – which made me a bit amused, wanting an answer from my own self. How silly.

When I was convinced that I've finally woken up, I turned off the faucet. I straightened up and looked at myself in the mirror.

“You are not allowed to be attracted to Ethan Tyler,” I firmly told myself. “Do you understand?” I took a deep breath and nodded. My hand then grabbed the face towel, and gently rubbed my face with it. When done, I put it back neatly.

I shook my hair as I returned to my room. To my absolute surprise, someone else was in the room with me. And he wasn't wearing any shirt on, only a towel draped around his hips. The lights were turned on, making me have a full view on his gorgeous body and well-packed abs.

It was only then that I realized he had tattoos on his right shoulder. The more noticeable one was the bold numbers of 26. Below it were Greek characters: ΘΗΑ.

Hmm. Theta Eta Alpha. It must be the fraternity he belonged to.

All of a sudden, he was nearing me. It was getting harder for me to breathe. I wanted to step back, but my feet were rooted on the spot. Why for goodness' sake wouldn't they move?! I was hyperventilating!

He reached his right hand up.

What – What is he going to do?

He placed his hand on my chin . . . to close my mouth.

Oh, heavens. My mouth was open? Please save me from this humiliation.

“I know you think I'm some sort of sex god,” said Ethan in a low voice, pulling up my chin so our eyes could meet. He smiled crookedly. “But you don't have to be so obvious about it.”

I felt my face heat up from deep embarrassment, while my body stiffened. I was quite sure that the color of my entire face was scarlet red, if not only my cheeks.

How. Mortifying.

It took all my will power to compose myself and keep my head held high. I looked at him straight in the eye as though he was nothing but an unwanted disturbance.