Mismatched Compatibility (26)

Ethan:

I left the house early in the afternoon. It was Monday, and I forgot how awful the traffic would be. At this rate, it'd take more than a couple of hours for us to get to the city proper. Damn.

“Congrats on your movie deal,” I told the girl beside me, trying to be polite.

I know. Me, fucking polite. Ha. Told ya I'm getting messed up.

The girl's name was Viria, the author cousin of Dakota. She was the one who used to date that High Jinks member. I forgot which dude, though.

“Thanks,” she said, smiling at me.

She still wore retainers, which surprised me. I didn't know people still wore retainers at our age. She got long straight dark hair and an olive skin, while her eyes were big and round. She looked a bit like Dakota, but with a wiser look. It was like she experienced true love and lost it.

Don't look at me. I have no idea where that came from either.

“It's really a blessing,” added Viria.

Apparently, she's religious.

“What's it about?” I asked.

Might as well talk to her during this long ride.

“Best friends being in love,” she answered carefully.

I instantly thought of Aaron and Dakota, making me burst into laughter.

“Bet you had no trouble writing that.”

She laughed, getting my point. “Yeah. You're in it, too.”

I stopped laughing as my eyes widened. I glanced at her.

“What?”

“It's basically about Dakota and Aaron's love story,” she shrugged, as if she was used to saying this. “Everyone involved are included in the book.”

“You mean, we're all in it?”

“Yup.”

“You managed to write all of that?” I asked in disbelief.

“Only the highlights of your senior year.”

I couldn't wrap my head around that idea. Someone somewhere wrote a book about our lives without us even knowing – okay, maybe Dakota did. But still, that was wickedly awesome. And it was gonna be a movie!

“Who'll play me?” I smiled crookedly at her. Heck, I was excited. Seriously, who wouldn't be? Everyone who'd say they weren't was a fucking liar.

“They're still casting,” replied Viria sheepishly.

“That's really cool.”

I caught her nod in agreement from my peripheral vision.

“They better cast a good-looking actor on me,” I muttered.

She burst out laughing. “This is so weird.”

“What is?”

“I'm laughing with Ethan Tyler,” she explained, awe-struck. “I have to be honest, you're not the jerk Dakota told me about.”

I smirked, and said, “It's just bad timing. I'll be back to being a jerk by the wedding on Friday, depends on today's outcome.” But I wouldn't take no for an answer, so today's outcome was a sure win.

Unless Daniella's faggot of an ex-boyfriend was there with her and decided that he needed her back in his life. Well, he could go fuck himself. He screwed up his chances by being a chicken shit. She was mine now.