Chapter Thirty-Two: Fake Proposal

I blinked open my eyes slowly, wondering if Michael had actually been serious.
We didn't even live together yet. We never discussed what marriage would ever be like or anything. We hadn't even dated for over a year yet.
"Yes," I whispered back, closing my eyes again.
I'd sort it out in the morning. He was probably as groggy as I was and didn't know what he was saying. This all meant nothing.

Light shined directly into my eyes and I blinked them open slowly, shielding my eyes from the ever bright light that I had grown to hate since my teenage years.
I stretched out my legs and arms before rolling over slightly and looking at Michael's sleeping form. He was cuddled up under the covers comfortably, his arms loosely wrapped around my torso.
I nuzzled my nose into his hair and kissed it gently before unwrapping his arms from my stomach. I stood up shakily and slipped on some pajamas, looking back at Michael. He groaned in protest but curled up tighter and resumed his relentless snoring.
I continued with my normal daily routine until I found myself back in the kitchen. I made myself tea and sat up on the counter sipping it gently, letting the flavors of home sooth me.
When I looked up again, I saw Michael standing in the doorway of the bedroom watching me. I smiled and set my tea down, making grabby hands to him. Michael rolled his eyes and made his way over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and picking me up.
I giggled uncontrollably as he spun us in circles before he set me back down on the counter, looking at me with so much love and affection in his eyes.
To think I was only imagining this type of life a year ago.
Michael made himself coffee and he leaned back, sipping at it. I watched his movements carefully, trying to see if he remembered anything from last night. When he didn't give anything away, I decided to ask him.
"Do you remember last night?" I asked him.
"Most of it, yeah," He told me, looking up slowly after. "Why?"
"Um... Do you remember what you said?" I started slowly.
"Gav, I said a lot of things. Your gonna have to be more specific," Michael told me, chuckling a little.
"Do you remember when you proposed to me?" I asked him abruptly.
I guess Michael was just as shocked as I was because he dropped his coffee. I cringed at the crash of the cup on the floor, it shattering into a million pieces, along with my heart.
"Um, I... Uh," Michael stuttered.
"I didn't think you meant it," I muttered.
"Gavin," Michael started, stepping over the mess of coffee. "I love you. You know that. But, marriage is still a little early for us. I'm sure you can see that, right?"
I nodded slowly and looked down again. I had no idea why I was this upset. I had a feeling it wasn't a true proposal, but at the same time I was kinda hoping it was.
"Gavin, I know you. Even if you wanted that to be a real proposal, you wouldn't have been truly happy. Remember what you told me?" Michael asked me. I shook my head, even though I had an idea of what he was talking about.
"You told me you wanted to live your life before settling down. To be free for as long as you can. That the reason your family's last name is Free is because you're entire family liked to be free for as long as possible," He told me, rubbing my arms and smiling slightly, making me smile as well.
He had a point. I did tell him that a while ago when we went out for drinks. I had been in a vulnerable place after my break up with Meg and Michael had been the one to comfort me.

~ Flashback ~

"Hey, Gav, can I ask you something?" Michael asked me. He swirled his beer bottle around a little before looking up to me.
"Of course, my boi," I smiled to him, taking a sip of my own beer.
"How come you never seem to stay in a relationship? Are you scared of commitment or something?" Michael asked me. I gulped and looked down.
"Well, to be honest, yes. I am scared of commitment. It was never something my family took very well. We don't like to feel like we're being trapped. We like to feel free, if that makes any sense," I told him.
Michael gazed at me thoughtfully and I wondered what was going on in that mind of his. Perhaps he was actually calculating and thinking over what I told him, or maybe he was just trying to think of a witty comeback.
"I guess I get what your saying. Way to be cliche, don't you think?" Michael laughed a bit. Okay, so maybe it was a little bit of both.
"Yeah, but that's why my last name is Free," I told him, looking forward. Michael patted my shoulder and smiled with me.

~ End of Flashback ~

"Look, Gav, when I do propose to you, it'll be done right. Romance and love and all that stuff that makes your eyes light up the way I love. That's my promise to you," Michael told me. I smiled and nodded.
Michael smiled as well and we slowly leaned closer to each other. Michael pressed his lips against mine lovingly and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Michael pulled me closer to him and held me tightly in his arms. When we pulled away, I rested my head on his shoulder and breathed in his scent.
At this moment, I wished I could stay here for the rest of my life. Wrapped in Michael embrace, breathing in his unique and wonderful scent, being reminded of other times.
But, as everything usually goes in life, something had to ruin it.
Michael's phone rang loudly from his room and he pulled away before rushing into his room. I sighed and jumped down from the counter, taking the last sip of tea and putting it into the sink.
Suddenly, I heard Michael storm out. He was struggling to pull on his shirt and he hastily grabbed his keys.
"Mi-cool, where are you going?" I asked him, following him to the door.
Time seemed to slow as Michael turned to face me. Now, Michael was a very brave person. He very rarely got truly scared. But now, looking into his eyes, all I could see was so much fear.
"My dad has Michelle... And it isn't good."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, yeah. Sorry for the filler, I haven't had a lot of time to work on chapters and stuff. Hopefully the ending wasn't too confusing. I guess you could say the climax of the second part is beginning.
Thanks for reading. Please leave some feedback on how I can improve or what you think. It means a lot to me when you guys take the time to read through my chapters and comment on my stories.
Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy!