ı 40 ı Gone with Reality

"You've got to make a decision; leave tonight or live and die this way"

"I don't know what 'Gone with the Wind' is, but I don't want to see it," I complain.

"Well too bad. You haven't seen a movie outdoors yet in the 21st century, so today is the day," Caroline says, dragging me behind her through the middle of town.

People fill the town square, laying on picnic blankets in front of a large white screen displaying a motion picture.

Caroline drags me through the crowd of people, stopping until we reach two familiar people.

"Hey Jeremy, Elena," Caroline greets as she sits beside Elena. I stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to say. I haven't spoken to any of them since the night things went to hell.

Elena looks up at me with sadness in her eyes, causing me to awkwardly smile knowing I look like crap. Caroline did her best to try and make me look presentable. She made me change out of the oversized sweater into a casual cardigan and she put some foundation and mascara on my face and eyes to make me look awake and not dead.

Out of no where, Elena stands up and walks over to me, wrapping me in a tight hug. I stand shocked, but return the hug, closing my eyes while the hug lasts as Caroline's words ring in my mind; you hurt us by not taking our help.

Elena releases me from the hug a few seconds later, stepping back so she can look me in the eye. "How are you?" she asks.

I stand there, appalled that she's asking me how I am considering she almost died and lost her aunt and dad. "Me? How are you?" I ask.

"Blair," Caroline says giving me a glare, scolding me for not taking Elena's help.

"I'm okay. We're still coping," she says motioning to Jeremy who gives me a sad smile. "I'm more concerned about you. I haven't heard from you."

"Yeah, I've just been, uh, at home. But I'm good," I say self consciously.

She smiles but I know she doesn't believe me.

"Have you talked to James?" she asks.

"Not really," I say, feeling a lump form in my throat.

I suddenly don't want to talk about any of it anymore, scared that I will break down. I now remember why I wanted to stay at home. I am not ready to be out in the world again.

"Oh, what about Stefan?" she asks.

I shake my head. "I um, I- can't," I ramble, turning around and getting out of there as fast as I can. Caroline calls my name, but I don't turn around out of fear that I will crumble.

My heart races as my vision becomes a blur and I become dizzy. Everything is too overwhelming, too real. I don't want to face any of it.

My thoughts cloud my judgement and I walk without stopping, slamming into someone sending me falling backwards on the ground.

A weight drops in my stomach and my eyes widen in fear as I see who I ran into.

It's Klaus.

"Hello love. Did I scare you?" he asks.

I panic and crawl backwards on my hands and feet, backing as far away from him as possible.

"Leave me alone!" I shout.

He keeps walking towards me and the tears collect in my eyes. I blink rapidly, and suddenly the image of Klaus in front of me is replaced by a concerned James.