Chapter One

*Jessie's POV*

I sat on my window sill humming vacantly, tears blurring my vision. I was humming a song I had made a couple of days ago, called 'Take It All'. Suddenly, my door flew open and Tina, my social worker, strode in, "COME ON JESSIE! YOUR ADOPTER IS DUE IN 5 MINUTES AND YOU LOOK A MESS LIKE ALWAYS! GET YOURSELF PRESENTABLE!" her sickly voice blasted into my ears. After slapping me around the face, she abruptly walked out, leaving me to my own accord and slamming the door behind her.

But I forgot about my adopter...

Dread filled me as I imagined what might lay ahead of me once I have been taken to yet another home. I wanted it to be different, nothing like the others, but there was no chance. I'd just have to face what I had coming.

I quickly went to my bathroom, slipping on a short sleeved, baggy shirt, and some jeans. I took a quick look in the mirror, cringing at how ugly and fat I looked. I applied some make up to my face to hide the bruises from Tina, the bullies and the other kids at the care home. I put some foundation onto my wrists to hide the self-inflicted wounds. I stole a look at the clock and saw I had only 2 minutes left until my life would become hell and I would be adopted.

Great.

I sat back down on my window, picking at the slight rips in my jeans, where the denim had been frayed. That all I got; hand-me-downs from the other kids at this hell hole. I wonder what my life would be like otherwise, if I wasn't in this dump. I wonder what it would be like if I finally succeeded in - no. Stop it.

I started singing to drown out the thoughts and my demons. I couldn't let them get to me today. I was so engulfed in my song that I didn't notice the black, rather shiny car pull up in our drive way and a short, somewhat glamorous young lady get out and make her way towards the orphanage.

*Demi's POV*

I heard a girl singing, she had such an angelic voice, singing purely and with so much emotion, I just couldn't resist standing there and listening. I looked up to a window where the sound was coming from, and saw a girl, crying, it seemed. I could tell she was broken, traumatised.

Stumbling up to the large door, I noticed how massive it really was. Admitted, I was quite short so that might have had a part to play in that. I noticed how church-like it was, and that the colour was a dark red. All in all, not that welcoming but hey, I can't complain. I knocked on it and waited, I heard a voice booming from inside, "JESSIE GET YOUR FAT ASS DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!!" right after, a very muscular lady opened the door, "Hey, I'm Demi, I have come to collect Jessie Bailmount?" I asked questionably, "Yeah, she's upstairs, I'll get her! My name is Tina by the way!" She cheerfully greeted, grabbing my hand and shaking it rougly, tears sprung to my eyes, revealing how harsh her grip was, she stumbled up the stairs to get Jessie, and I saw a whip around her waist.. Wait.. A whip?!

I sat down on a seat, wiping the tears away, "I told you to be ready when she came!" came a hushed whisper, just loud enough for me to hear. "I am, ma'am!" came another voice, this one barely audible. "Don't. Talk. Back. You understand?" I heard the woman - Tina - say, followed by 3 cracks of a whip and a gasp of pain. The whip was used.

It better not be on Jessie.
____________________________________________________________

Stay Strong. It gets better.

Kik: MartyrsCross
Twitter: @_wifiandbands_

Don't fight this alone. I'm always here to help. x