14.

The sun shone brightly as I emerged from Josh's house later that morning.  I shielded my eyes as I walked down the driveway towards the street.  Damn, I wished I had a pair of sunglasses with me.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  Things with Josh were good.  Better than good.  Josh was exactly what I needed and had been right under my nose the entire time.  I wasn't as if I was replacing Darry.  Josh had always been there.  I was just going to have to let whatever happened now, happen.

     Mike Ayley, the bass player from Marianas Trench, was jogging down the sidewalk towards the house.  He was on a big fitness kick so every morning he either went for a jog or a long walk, before going home to drink his health smoothie.  In all honesty the smoothies were damn delicious!

     "Hey Mila, what's up?"  Mike asked, slowing his pace dramatically. 

     "Hey.  Not too much."  I paused for a moment.  "Well, okay, that's kind of a lie.  I broke up with Darry."  I stated simply.  There was no point in getting into a long, messy explanation now.

     He stopped jogging for a moment, then smiled and nodded.  "Good.  That guy was a douche anyway."  He wiped some sweat away from his forehead.  "Now you and Josh can finally hook up."  He laughed and elbowed me lightly.

    I blushed wildly and looked at the ground.  "Yeah..."  I was interrupted as a car pulled up to the curb beside me.  It was Darry's car.  An evil look flashed across his face.  How did I ever find he attractive?  His features were pulled up into a scowl.

     "Well, well.  I thought that when you didn't come home last night that I might find you here."  I hated confrontation.  Especially public confrontation.  

     "What do you want Darry?"  I asked as calmly as I could.  Why couldn't he just leave me alone?  I am pretty sure I told him, several times in fact, that it was over.

     "So what, you dumped me for Josh, is that it?"  Darry hissed as he glared at Mike.

     "Hey, back off pal."  Mike said, stepping forward, putting himself between me and Darry.

     I stepped around Mike, my hands shaking.  I felt myself beginning to lose control.  "No you moron!"  I seethed.  "I left you because you cheated on me!  God, you are such a heartless asshole!  How can you sit there and accuse me of the very thing that you are guilty of yourself?"  I shook my head, my eyes blazed with fury.  "If you could, just for one second, imagine that you are not the center of the universe, and that other people's feelings really do matter, then maybe, just maybe, we could have a half assed normal conversation."  I could feel Mike place a reassuring hand on my shoulder.  "But until that time I suggest that you pull your head out of your ass and leave me the hell alone.  What I do now, or who I am with is none of your god damned business!"  I placed my hands on my hips and stared at him.  If looks could kill....  The person that I once loved and trusted was gone.  The person who was before me, in all his asshole glory, was someone that I hardly recognized.  But then again, I had never really known him at all.  Such a web of lies.  How was I supposed to know if he ever truly had feelings for me or was he just stringing me along?

     "Whatever.  Say what you will, but I know that there is something going on between you and Josh.  There probably always has been.  Why else would you not come home last night?"

     "Stop throwing the blame on me!  Does that make you feel better, huh?  Make me look like the bad guy.  Fuck you Darry."

     Darry revved the engine of his piece of shit car.  Man, I really despised everything about him now.

     "I'm outta here."  Darry squealed his tires as he pulled away from the curb, leaving me standing there with Mike, and feeling angry as hell."