4.

Eight months earlier

     "Darry, it's over."  I said simply, as I stared into the eyes of the man that I had dated for the last two years of my life.

     "What do you mean it's over?"  His cool, grey eyes held a look of disbelief and confusion.  The realization of my words had not yet set in.

                                                                                           * * * 

     Our relationship started out well, like most do.  Darius Fear was the man of my dreams.  We got along famously.  We met, as corny as it sounds, at our high school senior prom.  I had gone with a friend of mine, Josh Ramsay, and Darry had gone stag.  It was near the end of the night and I decided to step outside for some fresh air while Josh hung out with a group of our friends.  Everyone laughed at Josh as he proceeded to show them his fabulous dance moves.  I say fabulous, but really in all honesty, Josh looked like he was having a seizure standing up.

     Our prom was at a lovely banquet hall right on the water.  The sun had set long ago, and only tiny twinkle lights gave light to darkened sky.  It looked magical.  Music floated out of the opened doors and filled the quiet night air.  Beautiful white roses lined the walkway to the water's edge.  I reached down and removed my high heels and headed towards the water.  I set my shoes on the sandy shore, carefully lifted my sparkling silver, floor length dress and stepped into the shallow water.  The gentle breeze tickled my heck, grabbing at lose tendrils of my hair that had escaped the creative updo.  I closed my eyes and sighed.

     "Nice night, isn't?"

     A male voice startled me.  I was so surprised that I let go of my dress, causing it to fall down into the water.  I spun around quickly, my hand on my chest.  There before me, dressed in a black and white tux, was the most handsome guy that I had ever seen.  He had cool grey eyes and dark brown, almost black hair.  He stood a good ten inches taller than my petite five foot, two inch frame.

     "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."  He extended a hand to help me out of the water.

     I felt the colour rise to my cheeks.  "It's alright.  I was kind of off in my own little world, I guess."  I bent down and put my shoes back on.  Sand clung to my wet feet, making it more than a little uncomfortable.  "I just needed a bit of air.  It always seems to get so hot at dances."

     He nodded.  "Yeah, I hear you."

     I stood there for a moment, not really knowing what to say and feeling very awkward.  As if reading my mind, he spoke.

     "I'm sorry, here I am scaring the crap out of you and you don't even know my name.  I am Darius Fear, well Darry for short.  I have seen you around school.  You are Mila Williams, right?"

     I nodded.  How was it that I had not seen this gorgeous specimen at school before?  He had seen me, and knew my name to boot!

     An announcement rang out, stating that the night was coming to a close.  The soft music of the last song of the evening filled the air.  I nervously tucked a lose strand of hair behind my ear.  My heart began beating quickly in my chest as I looked up at Darry.  He held his hand out to me.

     "May I have this dance?"  He looked deep into my eyes.  

     My breath caught in my throat.  All I could do was nod.

     He placed his hands on my hips and I could feel the warmth of his touch through the thin material of my dress.  He had an intoxicating scent.  My heart beat faster and my knees felt weak all at the same time.  I closed my eyes and lay my head against his chest.  I listened to the rhythmic beating of his heart.  

     Now, I would be the first person to tell you that love at first sight is a whole bunch of nonsense, and that is was nothing more than a case of raging hormones, but it sure felt as though it had just happened to me.

     At that moment, all seemed right with the world.  As if nothing mattered in that moment but Darry and I.  But, all good things must come to an end, and the song ended far too soon.  People began filing out of the banquet hall.  Laughter and cheers filled the night.  Darry removed his hands from my hips and took my hand in his.

     He looked deep into my eyes and kissed me softly on the back of my hand.  "Thank you for the dance Mila.  I'll be seeing you."  With nothing more than a wink, he disappeared into the sea of bodies making their way towards their cars.  

     I stood there, on the path, surrounded by roses, in a fog.  Had that really just happened?

     Josh appeared out of the crowd.  He cocked his head to one side and gave me a questioning glance.  His blue and black hair hung in his eyes.  "What happened to you?"  He pointed to my dress and sandy shoes.

     I smiled and gently touched the back of my hand.  "Nothing.  I just needed some air."

     Josh raised an eyebrow.  "In the water?  What is the air better in there or something?"

     I laughed and shook my head.  "No, smart ass, it isn't."

     He smiled and reached his hand out towards me.  "Well, are you ready to go?"

     I nodded and took his outstretched hand.  his hand was warm, comforting.  As we walked to the car, I glanced over my shoulder, hoping to catch a glimpse if Darius Fear.  No such luck.  Just as mysteriously as he had appeared, he had all too soon disappeared.