Holding Onto You Chapter 4

Hunter's POV

It was second last period and Vincent and I were sitting together in study hall with his friends. I could hear Tyler, Alex and Sarah in the desk next to mine talking about movies and I for some reason really wanted to go sit with them. I had just finished talking with my mum on the phone and she was beyond happy that I was okay. I was doing great. All my braille text books were set up in my locker as well as my braille schedule which Mark was kind enough to stick for me on my locker door. The teachers were all kind to me and very patient with me and I was grateful to Mr. Smith for being the reason for that. Vincent was more a bodyguard than guide, not letting anyone near me and helping me throughout my classes. Why he was putting in all this effort for someone he just met, especially someone like me was a mystery to not only me but his friends as well who wondered if he was still the same Vincent or not. While Mark was helping me get out my books for Math earlier he told me that Vincent has never been so patient and soft with anyone before, not even a girl and he is usually always angry and impulsive and getting into fights and I wondered if he was just pitying me because I'm blind.

One person who I could tell was not happy with all Vincent's attention directed toward me was his best friend Finn. He hadn't said a word to me yet while all the others tried to spark up a conversation with me but sports being the only thing on their mind along with girls denied me any form of small talk required in order to make friends. So I sat quiet and listened to the loud trio next to my table argue about who was hotter, Iron Man or Thor, although I didn't know why Tyler and Alex were part of the argument because as far as I knew, Iron man and Thor were both male. I heard the bell ring and mentally groaned. My final period was gym. My first ever Gym class.

I stood a little behind Vincent as the Coach Mr. Edwards introduced me to the class. From his voice I could make out that he was buff and probably very scary looking. I sighed in relief when he turned his attention away from me and to the rest of the class.

"Okay students, today we're going to play a fair game of soccer. I'll divide the class into two teams and the winning team gets to miss laps for a week. Mr. Haynes I was given a list of activities by principal Smith for you to do during Gym to keep you active and focused as well as stimulate you physically. Although I don't think you will enjoy doing activities such as jump on the trampoline, run on the treadmill, swimming or simply doing laps on your own so we will leave this for a rainy day, today you're going to play soccer." Coach said casually. Did he not realize I'm blind.

"Coach I don't think that's possible, I do not intend on getting acquainted with the floor anytime soon. It's my first day, I think I'll take up that offer and probably go for a swim. I know how to swim and I won't be bored." We have a pool at home and I'm a pretty good swimmer thanks to my dad who taught me when I was young.

"Come on Haynes, Stone will be by your side the whole time, he might be a football player but he is damn good at soccer and doesn't get knocked down by anyone. You're a growing boy, a few bruises here and there is all a part of becoming a strong man and everyone knows they need to be cautious around you. And if anytime during the game you want out just blow this whistle and I'll take you out. Don't worry you'll be fine okay." Coach put a whistle around my neck and gave me a pat on the back before dividing us into two groups. Vincent and I were obviously in the same team as well as Ryan, Grayson and Tyson who had the same class as us. Tyler and Alex were on the opposite team and I hoped I got a chance to finally talk to them.

"Babysitting during soccer as well Stone, I bet I can beat Tyler up all I want now and you won't even notice because you're so focused on your new boy toy. What's he giving you that Tyler isn't huh? Or are you seriously only doing it so you don't get exp...." A guy with a very cynical voice who was saying things I couldn't understand was cut off by Vincent.

"Well well look who decided to finally show his face. Where were you since this morning? Trying to look less ugly by hiding all your bruises. Well let me tell you that you failed greatly. You're still an ugly douchebag and you will never get away with even touching Tyler or the others so don't even try." Vincent shot back bitterly before taking my hand and pulling me along.

We started the game and I was terrified that the ball will knock me unconscious. That would be painful as well as embarrassing. Vincent was by my side the whole way which meant a lot of running and a goal from him. I was suddenly lifted from the ground as Vincent unexpectedly hugged me causing me to blush red as a tomato as my mum says. I didn't have to see myself blush because I could feel my face heat up. I guess it was because it was the first time in my life I had such close contact with someone other then my mum who loved pulling me into bone crushing hugs. But this hug felt different. In a nice way. He placed me back on my feet and pulled me along with him again carrying on with the game not even aware of what his hug caused me. I tried to get my rapid heartbeat to slow down as we continued with the game. The ball found my foot a few times and I just kicked it in the direction of Vincent who told me I had good aim.

After the game we made our way to the locker room and changed. I was praised by all the guys for not falling during the game and doing great. After thanking them, Vincent, Finn and I left and went to the parking lot.

"You were really good Hunter, I'm really surprised." Vincent said as we walked.

"Thanks to you, I'm still not even sure why you're going through all this trouble for me but thank you, I really appreciate it. You have no idea how much." And it's true, I was eternally grateful for everything Vincent did for me. It was all almost to good to be true. I cleared my head off that thought as I heard Finn speak.

"Yeah Vincent I have no idea why you're doing this, I mean I know you're always looking out for the other kids but this is some major responsibility. Don't you think it will be better if one of the substitute teachers took over? I mean what if something happens to him?" Finn asked Vincent not even acknowledging my presence.

"Relax Finn nothing will happen to Hunter, everyone knows not to mess with him and he is not an inconvenience to me at all. I promised Mr. Smith and Hunter's mum that I would look after him and I won't break that promise." Vincent replied and my heart skipped a beat. "I see your mums car Hunter, let's go."

Vincent lead me to mums car and I said bye to him and Finn before getting in.

"You look exhausted!" Mum said as soon as I was buckled in.

"That's because I am. I just played a real game of soccer and my team won." I tried not to blush thinking of the hug Vincent gave me.

"Well let's get you home and after dinner you can tell your dad and I all about your day, I bet he won't believe you actually played soccer. I am so happy for you son."

"Thanks mum." I couldn't believe myself all the things I did today. I was proud of myself.