Holding Onto You Chapter 1

Vincent's point of view

"VINCENT" "VINCENT" "VINCENT"

I wiped the sweat off my forehead with my hand as I stood over Brian's beat up body. The crowd of students were cheering as Brian's friends pulled him out of the parking lot and took him to the nurse. I pulled Tyler up to his feet and pushed him toward his friends Alex and Sarah.

"Keep him in your sight and out of Brian's will you Alex. I'm not his babysitter, understand?" I growled at Alex who cowered under my gaze.

"Yes I understand." Alex whispered, pulling Tyler and Sarah toward the school building as the bell rang for first period.

As I made my way to class I was stopped in my tracks by a very familiar and very annoying voice.

"Mr. Stone, my office. Now!"

Thirty minutes later I was seated in Mr. Smith's office along with a very bruised Brian who was holding an ice pack against his cheek. I couldn't help but smirk as he glared at me.

"Mr. Stone and Mr. Harvey, it is the first day of school and instead of catching up on gossip and the whereabouts of your fellow friends and class mates during the summer break, the two of you are trying to prove who gained more muscle while away." Mr. Smith spoke calmly which is ten times worse than shouting.

"Clearly it was me." I said just loud enough for Brian to hear and the glare in my direction proved he did.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't expel you two right now!" Mr. Smith screamed, probably noticing our little exchange.

"Because the school loves me as much as they fear me and you might get rid of douchbag over here but all the other homophobic bullies who roam the halls free won't hesitate to beat a weak kid to the pulp with me out of the picture. Oh and another reason not to expel me is because you will get so bored without me Mr. Smith that you will probably make Cory the janitor the principal and resign so you can forever hide in shame for making the biggest mistake of your life." I said, knowing I'm making him even more angry.

"THAT'S IT MR. STONE YOU ARE EXP..." Mr. Smith suddenly stopped shouting and got this very smug look on his face which I didn't like at all. "Or better yet, from today you are going to babysit."

I looked at Mr. Smith with a raised eyebrow. "What are you on about?" I asked, clearly annoyed.

"We have a new student in this school who will need a permanent guide and I would have recruited his sister who already attends this school, but the two of them don't get along at all. Oh and before I elaborate on your punishment Mr. Stone, Mr. Harvey you are to clean the boys locker room every day after school for three weeks" Mr. Smith said, turning to Brian.

"Mr. Smith, Brian should be expelled. He does not give the kids a break. One of these days he is going to push Tyler over the edge. You know how sensitive he is for his own good. Brian is a bully who needs to be put away." I couldn't believe what Mr. Smith was saying.

"Mr. Stone do not worry that will not be his only punishment. Mr. Harvey you are dismissed for now." Mr. Smith said and Brian was quick to stand and bolt from the office.

"Back to you, angry young man, his name is Hunter Haynes brother of Heather Haynes and from today till the end of the school year you will be his guide or babysitter so to speak." Mr. Smith said, that smug look back on his face.

"Why does he need a guide?" I mean he might be new but this school is not that big and it will take him just a few days to find his way around so why for the whole year?

"Come with me and you will find out." Mr. Smith said as he left his office.

I followed him to the front office and saw a woman with long blond hair talking to the receptionist. On one of the seats was a boy who looked about 16 or 17. He was looking down and he had his earplugs in his ears and his ipod in his hands.

"Anna how are you?" Mr. Smith asked the woman as he shook her hand.

"I'm well John just a little stressed. Hunter insisted on starting school and I'm worried he won't manage. It's his last year and the home schooling was going so well but I guess it's only fair that he gets to experience high school like every other kid his age." The woman Anna said, a look of worry on her face.

Home schooled? Why was he home schooled? He looks like a relatively normal kid. Perhaps he was just a mommy's boy. After Mr. Smith finished talking with the woman he turned to introduce me to her.

"Anna this is Vincent and I'm positive that he will do a very good job in ensuring the safety and well-being of your son. Vincent this is Mrs. Haynes, Hunter's mother."

"Wait a minute Mr. Smith I haven't yet agreed to do this I mean I don't even know why I'm going to be his guide. You don't need even a week to get to know your way around the school. And I'm very busy with football practice and homework and girls to flirt with and also making sure that Brian doesn't kill anyone. But I'm sure Tyler would love to have someone follow him around for the rest of the year. Come on sir, I'm a busy man." I pleaded. I rather clean the locker room for three weeks than have a kid follow me all the time.

"Vincent you need to understand that I need you to do this. You're always looking out for the younger more vulnerable kids and Hunter needs someone who can ensure that no harm what so ever befalls him during school hours. He has a uhm condition, he uhm he is..." Why wouldn't Mr. Smith just tell me what was wrong with him. I had class to go to. Despite popular belief I actually enjoyed school and did well in class. If I wasn't such an 'angry young man' I would be all my teachers dream student. With my good marks and my charm and not forgetting my good looks. All the girls swooned over me and the guys looked up to me. I was told I'm the hottest guy in town but I didn't need to be told because I already knew that. It's quite obvious, everyone could notice it. It would take a bli...

"I'm blind".

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a soft, calm almost serene voice. I looked up to see who said that and was face to face with the most beautiful person I have ever seen in my life. It felt like everyone else disappeared and it was just me and him. I suddenly didn't feel so confident anymore. I suddenly wasn't hot enough, or muscular enough. I didn't want him to see me like this. I felt so horrid while he looked so angelic. I didn't care that I was saying this about another guy because it was completely true. His voice was just as beautiful as him and it was like music to my ears although I didn't catch what he said. His eyes were lowered for some reason but I caught a slight glance at them to know that they were light brown.

"Did you say something?" I asked in a low voice.

"Yeah" he said, still looking down. "I said the reason my mum insists on getting me a guide is because I'm blind".

My heart stopped. My eyes shut. This couldn't be possible. He was suppose to be perfect. He is perfect. He's perfect and he can't even see it. At that very moment I knew exactly what I had to do.

I stepped forward and took hold of his hand. I turned to Mr. Smith and Mrs. Haynes and with most of my confidence restored I said the three words that changed my life forever.

"I'll do it".