20. A Secret Helper

Hey munchkins, it's been a while since my last update, ey? I am truly sorry about that. I think I might be losing motivation to write this story. Thank you to all those that are still with us, sticking to the story like true soldiers haha. I cannot write my gratitude in words, I appreciate it so much. Thank you for all the votes and comments of encouragement. 

Anyways, hope you enjoy the chapter, although, it is a little short.

Also, it is unedited and I'll be looking to do that once the story is complete. 

Happy reading

~ Zana

Chapter Twenty ~ A Secret Helper

Jett hadn't moved from the mouth of the cave when the others returned and Eva lunged at him to wrap her arms tightly around. The gesture took Jett by surprise, but slowly, he, too, raised his arms and held her tight. Everything happened so fast; the event was yet to process through all their minds. Eva released Jett once her heart rate had steadied; it had increased from all the panic and chaos, when they had to ditch their plan and flee for their lives. He was unaware that even the little time away from her, was torturous for her and, it was the first she feared for her life after several years of power; the mere thought of losing her life pained her, knowing she wouldn't see Jett ever again, frightened the living daylights out of her. She had never valued him this much before. 

"You're back so soon," Jett pointed out, running his hand through his hair. He knew something must have gone wrong. Firstly, Pandora was missing and secondly, there was no captured leader around.

"Everybody, follow me back to the room. We have a new plan to make," Jax demanded, leading them all to the room that he had imprisoned Pandora and Eva earlier. He gritted his teeth and had his hands in fists, attempting to prevent himself from lashing out at the next living thing. The plan hadn't worked, a plan that took him years to perfect and minutes to abandon.

"Where's Pandora?" Jett asked once they were all seated around the table. He was seated next to Eva and opposite jax, with Darren next to Jax.

"Darren, Eva, you've got the gloves, right?" Jax got straight to business, ignoring Jett's question.

"Why aren't you answering him? What are we going to do?" Eva snapped, fishing out the gloves to show that she still had them.

"I threw mine away, thought they would be pretty useless," Darren shrugged, the very least affected by the failure of the plan.

"What do you mean, you threw them away?" Jax shouted, slamming his hand on the desk, a vein bulging out across his temple. "What if they get in his filthy hands? We can't have that. You better hope that they are hidden out of his reach or else!"

"Getting angry is not going to help the situation. We need to think fast," Jett soothed. He was never one for violence. "Someone tell me what happened."

He reached out for Eva's hand, hoping for an explanation. All the anger that surrounded him was frustrating with all his ignorance. His gentle touch softened Eva a little; oblivious to him, she was glad to have him physically around. His absence took a toll to her emotions and thinking; she couldn't get herself to click the button of the crest without imagining his pleading face to stop. She was beginning to soften up because of him, she even considered giving the Crest up if she ever found him, but that thought disappeared as quickly as it appeared. 

Eva explained the event to him and finished with, "that man has got Pandora. We need to get her back somehow."

Eva found herself worrying for Pandora. The realisation came as a shock to her; she had grown on her like an unwanted fungus. It was after she had discovered that Pandora had not, in fact, abandoned her out of her own accord but was taken to prison, did she warm up to her. Somehow, in the short time that they had known each other, the trust had built up. 

"Or she could be safe," Jax chimed in. He knew something they didn't. They all snapped their heads towards him, curious for an elaboration. 

"Let me go check their system and see if she's at their base or prison," Jett spoke, pushing his chair back and standing up.

That's what Jett had been doing while Pandora and Eva were searching for him all that time. He'd been used to hack into the system at the core and learn everything they possibly could, in such a short time, before they made their move. They thought they were prepared, but never expected Fox to have the rock with him. How was he or even the others able to teleport to them with that? That's what Jax was thinking, the whole situation confusing him.

"What do you mean that she could be safe? You abandoned her with a whole army of enemies," Eva questioned once Jett had left the room after explaining to her what he meant by checking the system. He had told her what he'd been doing there all that time and how he'd been helping.

"I didn't realise you were fond of Pandora," Darren spoke for the first time in a while. He had been listening intently to their conversation. 

"Shut up or I'll kill you," Eva said without remorse. The more time she spent with him, the less she trusted him. There was something off about him more recently. 

"Let's just see what information Jett has for us before I say a thing." Jax had calmed down after Jett decided to take control of the situation. He thought that Jett was right about keeping cool and coming up with a plan as soon as possible, before allowing Fox to make a counterattack.

"Are we just going to sit here all day?" Darren moaned with impatience. He didn't even desire to be there. All he wanted, was an opportunity to suffocate Eva by taking the Crest from her and using it on her.

"First thing's first, I need to go retrieve the gloves that Darren so carelessly chucked away. Then, once we find out Pandora's fate, we either rescue her or make a plan to attack Fox," Jax interrupted, before the argument could escalate.

Jett returned with a wary smile planted on his face.

"You might want to act fast, they don't have Pandora yet, but how she escaped their capturing, I don't know, but I'm sure her weakened body won't stay away from them that much longer," Jett reported. It was a mixture of good and bad news.

"I may know," Jax responded. 

***

Meanwhile, Pandora was on the run. She wasn't physically running herself, but she was being carried and teleported around the forest, getting further and further away from Fox. After five minutes of fleeing, she was gently placed in a tiny clearing by a river. Her head lulled backwards as she had no energy to fix her head up to look at the face of her rescuer.

"This will do for now. Jax better come and get you or I'm going to leave you here."

The man kneeled over the lying body of Pandora's and took out a packet in the inner pocket of his black blazer. He tore the top of the plastic with his sharp teeth and placed the opening over Pandora's mouth. It was blood in a packet, ones that were given out in small rations down at the core. The packet was very tiny, no bigger than the palm of a baby's hand. It wouldn't give much energy to Pandora but it would be a start. After the contents were emptied into her mouth and he was sure she had swallowed it all, the man checked the watch on his wrist.

"Shit, they'll check the system to see where she is. We better get a move on." The man lifted Pandora up, his arms under her neck and knees, teleporting out of the area, all the while calling out Jax's name in his head, hoping for him to return for her.