25.Life After Death

Hey my little Munchkins! I know,  I know, it's taken me ages just to update this chapter and it's not even that great. Apologies for both!! BUT BUT BUT... it's finally up

I would like to dedicate this chapter to renesmeewolfe for being such a sport and encouraging me to continue to write this even though I told her that I am completely unmotivated. Also, she's done a competition for a cover of this book, please go check her covers book and vote on the one that you prefer! Also, if you have the time, please go review my book on her Promote your story book. It would mean a lot to me.

Anyways, on with the story. Hope you enjoy it!

~Zana  

Chapter twenty five ~ Life After Death

Two things came out of Pandora's death. One: well, Pandora was dead and two: Fox hadn't moved away in time, so when Pandora exploded, Fox was struck by the ice and his body was weakened. He had little energy to teleport but somehow he had, back to safety.

Max was traumatised, he'd never understood what happened to this mother but realised it was a reoccurring theme when he saw Pandora burst. His mother hadn't returned that day and he realised that Pandora is no more, which meant that neither is his mother. This kept him crying for hours to the point where his head began to ache and yet he still wouldn't discontinue.

The others didn't waste time; they headed back to the cave only to shift their belongings. Fox was aware of their hide-out due to becoming suspicious of Tobias' random disappearance for long lengths of time. That's when he began to track him and, later, followed him. Jett was making his way to Eva's home when Fox had captured the others and so he was safe during this time. Eva had gotten in contact with Jett and told him of their new plan, which required him to stay there until the others arrived.

"Tell us again what Pandora told you?" Jax asked the third time, not really believing him.

"If you aim the Crest at the people that were killed with it, it would bring them back," Darren repeated with a raised voice and an angered tone. It was frustrating him that he had to repeat himself.

"I am also aware of this," Tobias chipped in. "Only it ––"

"Great! What are we waiting for then? Eva, lead us to them." Jax grew with excitement.

This might just work. It meant that they didn't have to do anything themselves. If they are really brought back to life, they could create their own army. The last stats that he remembered came to seventy four deaths by Crest. They knew that Fox, as weak as he was, would not wait to fully recover before ordering another attack on them, and this time he wouldn't spare them. He would order his men to kill them.

"There's something important you must know," Tobias tried again.

"What can possibly be more important than this? Let's go, you can tell us later. You take Darren and Max and I shall bring Eva. Where is the best place to meet once we've teleported?" Jax shouted over Max's cries, handing him over to Tobias.

Tobias took Max with fear that he would drop him or hurt him somehow. He had never handled kids before and wasn't sure what to do with them. He held Max at arms lengths who kicked in the air, and so, slowly he held him closer to stop the kicks. Distracted by Max, Tobias didn't say anything more.

"The reception area would probably be best," Eva answered. She'd been quiet lately, ever since Pandora had gone.

She knew she was responsible for that and she was grieving in her own way. She wasn't sure whether she was happy or upset about her death. She was still shocked of the way Pandora turned to ice before exploding into many pieces.

"Where's the reception?" Jax asked.

"Once you walk through the main entrance."

"Okay, let's go."

Once they appeared, Eva made her way to a shocked looking Alice, who sat behind the desk as they had materialised out of nothing right in front of her. Jett had been waiting for them there.

"Where are the dead bodies kept?" Eva demanded straight away, determined to get their plan in action straight away.

"Ma'am?" Alice asked with confusion. She'd never been asked that question before.

"Where do you guys put the dead bodies?" Jax butted in, irritated by the delay.

"The basement."

Without a word, Eva began to walk in the direction of the basement, while Jax ordered Tobias and Darren to stay to guard the entrance and for Jett to follow them to the basement.

It was a long walk through the corridors and then down flights of stairs that never seemed to end. Jax complained how she should have just told him where it was and he could have teleported them but Eva kept quiet, taking the lead down the stairs.

As they got closer and closer to the bottom, the smell of decaying bodies and rotting hit their noses. They all gagged, slowing their pace but continuing down the steps nonetheless. They expected it, however not as strong as they had smelt it.

Eva cautiously pushed the door open and the humidity hit them, the smell strengthening. They were met with darkness. She edged for the lights and when she found them, the sight before her sickened her, along with the others when they had followed her into the room. The bodies and bones were piled on top of each other. Some had reduced to bones while others were in the process of decomposing. Eva held her nose as she frantically took breaths through her mouth, only this made her feel like she could taste what she smelt. She pushed past the others and exited the room. She needed to breathe properly and, although, the stench was still there outside the room, it was mild enough for her to breathe properly.

"Hey, you okay?" Jett asked softly, standing behind her and rubbing her back soothingly. It felt to him that he hadn't seen the love of his life for a very long time and the fact that he was useless to do anything, got to him more than the effect of the smell of the decaying bodies.

"C'mon guys! We don't want to be wasting more time," Jax called from within the room. The smell was blocked out by his excitement. He could smell it but he cared about getting rid of Fox's authority more than anything else. He could smell the victory he thought was soon to come.

Eva nodded at Jett's question and prepared herself to enter the basement again. She needed to do this. Jett watched Eva intently; in his absence she had grown and matured. He was proud of her and had noticed how she began to question the power she had in her hand. She wouldn't use the Crest to think but, rather, think before she used it.

"I'm proud of you." Jett let his thoughts slip out of his mouth and, although, she had been changing, he still expected her to bite his head off for the comment.

To his surprise, she merely smiled at him and entered the room, taking out the Crest.

She aimed the Crest at the pile before her as she held her breath. It took her one last encouragement before she pressed the button and the rainbow of light shot out of her chest and engulfed the pile of decaying bodies. This moment reminded her of the time Pandora had to encourage her to take the Crest for the first time. As she continued to press the Crest, silent tears rolled down her cheeks. One minute later, two and then three... nothing happened, the bodies lay on the ground without moving. Still, Eva didn't let go of the Crest.

"Darren better know what he's talking about because nothing is happening here!" Filled with anger, Jax smashed his fist against the wall.

That's when something did happen. One set of bones, then two, then three began moving, followed by the bodies that were still decomposing. Once every single one was stood up, taking up the space of most of the room, Eva let go.

"You deal with them," Eva simply said before she turned around.

Before she could exit the room, a pair of hands wrapped around her neck and squeezed as tight as it could muster.