28. An Explosive Battle

Chapter Twenty Eight ~ An Explosive Battle

Days passed, turning into weeks, where nothing had happened. Everyone had grown lazy, even the living dead, no longer on high alert of an attack. Fox had not arrived with his army nor had Jett returned from the day he stormed out.

Eva was becoming jittery and Jax was growing impatient. They could do nothing but wait; that was the only option they had left. In all the midst of uncertainty, no one paid attention to the doings of Max. He had once attempted to approach his mother, who immediately recognised him, but on close inspection, he was frightened by her appearance. The decaying of her body continued but nothing ever really dissolved away. Max had run back into the house, up the stairs and into one of the rooms. He edged himself into the corner of the room and never came out, the image of his mother forever indented into his memory, traumatising him into silence.

Just as Jett had been, Tobias was suspicious of Darren and so kept a close eye on him. The amount of times Darren could have reached over and taken the Crest or attack Eva another way was prevented by the mere fact that Tobias was on constant watch of him. Jax was too deep in the mission to notice anything with Darren and his vision only filled with victory.

The days had mixed into one another and they could no longer tell what day it was. The living dead busied themselves with chatters and such, forgetting to guard the building in case of an attack.

That's why, in a day such as that, after careful monitoring of their actions, Fox had decided it was the perfect day to do as they had wished. He had to be careful and strategic about it as they had no sacconium left to protect themselves. Each day he had sent one of his men to watch their condition and tactically desired to wait until they were no longer driven to fight and so an attack would be in their favour.

So when Fox turned up with many, many of his men, more than any of them had anticipated, everyone scrambled to take their practiced position. In the process of preparing themselves, some of the living dead had already been attacked. Screams and shouts of orders filled the air, no one really listening to one another. Those were the screams that caused Eva, Jax, Darren and Tobias to jump to their feet with shock filled faces to the expectancy of the battle.

While the others ran outside, grabbing the gloves Jax had made on their way, Eva had jumped to the window, using that as a vantage point. She pulled the Crest out and opened the window. Fox's men were approaching fast and it was evident that their own army was useless against his. She began using the Crest, aiming at a group of enemies all the while searching for Fox. His men kept coming while many of the living dead's bones were piled on the floor.

Eva's heart beat hard; they were surely at a loss.

She could see what the others were doing; Tobias was using his strength to fight groups of enemies, while Jax used his slimness to weave in and out of the enemies, making his way to the piled bones. Darren had a rod in his hand and used it to hit the enemy as he followed Jax in order to protect him as Jax dodged in and out. Jax was not much of a fighter, however, the drive to defeat Fox gave him a certain motivation that took away any fear he may have had.

During the quiet period, while they waited for the battle, Jax had secretly been working on a chemical to bring the living dead back just in case they had been attacked and defeated. He was running to the piled bones, hopping from one area to another, just pouring three drops over each pile. He would not wait for them to move before he went onto the next pile and so he didn't even know if it would work. He was only testing it out at that moment, hoping that it would be a success.

The enemy was getting closer and closer to the house and Eva's heart began to race. She was sure that they were losing. They were fast approaching and it was becoming harder to aim at the enemy without getting her own as they all began to mingle within each other. Standing on the top floor by the window was no longer an advantage.