6. Something From The Past

Thank you all so much for all the reads and the lovely comments. You guys are awesome! I mean it. Words cannot explain how thankful I am. Anyways, on another note, this chapter is dedicated to kkharris99 because she is one of my closest friends, more than that even. This chica is such an inspiration and motivates me on another level. I thank Allah for putting such a dime in my life, especially during the time I needed someone the most. I love you so much, chick! Go check out her amazing stories.

Not much happens in this chapter but I guess it's essential.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the chapter and please comment and vote if you believe it deserves it. Many thanks.

~ Zana

Chapter Six ~ Something From The Past

Pandora stepped towards Eva, causing Eva to frown.

"You look well."

"No! Stay away from me!" Eva shouted, pushing back in the chair. "You're a liar!"

Pandora was wearing a cloak of her own which dragged along the floor, making a shuffling sound. For a few seconds that was the only noise until she halted and took a seat on the edge of the desk.

"Is that how you greet a friend?" Pandora pouted, her hisses longer than usual and they sounded drained. She avoided looking directly into her eyes because everyone knows what happens if she does that.

"A friend? You call yourself a friend? Don't even go there, you ditched me the moment I returned home. Do you even know the hell I've been through?" Eva was angry. Very angry. "You ditched me the moment I did what you told me to do. And, by the way, your hissy voice is so annoying." The latter was added out of spite. Eva didn't actually mean that.

"Calm down, Eva. It wasn't like that. Yo --" Pandora began but was interrupted.

"Calm down? Really?" Her voice raised a notch and she slammed her hands on the desk before standing up. "You promised to stick with me but you just left! Poof! For years, everyone thought I had gone mad, even Jett. No one believed me that you existed, even with the Crest. A creature with magic? How absurd, they thought. They called me insane. My closest friends did and so I had to do the only thing I could do: Get rid of them."

Pandora lowered her gaze when Eva stared. The last thing she wanted was for Eva to fall for her. Pandora cursed under her breath, wishing to rid of her powers momentarily.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" By this time, Eva was standing right in front of Pandora. She put her hand under her chin and yanked her head up to face her, Pandora's neck cracking from the force. This sent a strange sensation through Eva's veins. Pandora averted her gaze away from her and looked to the right, unable to move her head. "Why don't you look at me? You made me kill my father and abandoned me and you have nothing to say for yourself?" Eva demanded.

Pandora stood up, towering over Eva. She gazed down at Eva, careful not to look into her eyes and instead at her eyebrows. They were shaped nicely, she thought.

"I never told you to kill your father. You were only supposed to punish him for hurting you, for se --"

"Don't remind me." Eva turned away from her, the memory stinging. Tears began to form and her vision became a blur, but she forced the feeling away moments later and wiped away any evidence of emotions.

"For what he did," she corrected herself. "I told you to let go after thirty seconds and the pain lasts for twenty four hours. A minute kills them. I told you to teach him a lesson, not get rid of him," she reminded her.

"I, er... it - So you're saying it's my fault now? I was fourteen and you asked me to do something I'd never thought of before. It was the best thing I ever did though, but do you have any idea what I had to sacrifice for it? Of course you don't, you just pop up whenever you feel like it. Well, you can stop wasting your time and just go back where you came from. I don't need you anymore!" Eva's face turned red from anger. She stomped around the room.

"Eva, listen to me, it's not entirely my fault that I just left. I left because th --" A screeching sound which Pandora could only hear stopped her from continuing and she slapped her hands over her ears and bent over. Once it was over, she stood up straight. "I have to go but I'll be back tomorrow."

"Wait, what about Jett? You said you can help!" Eva almost begged. "I didn't mean it, I do need you."

"Tomorrow," Pandora repeated, barely looking her way.

"Yeah right," Eva scoffed in a mumble.

Pandora's heart sank. She really disappointed Eva. Pandora advanced towards Eva and placed her hands on her shoulder, gazing into her eyes. "I promise."

Eva's stomach began to flutter and she reached out to touch Pandora's face but before she could, Pandora vanished, leaving a flowery scent behind.

"What just happened?" Eva shook her head, hoping Pandora would keep to her word.

She sat back behind her desk with her hands interlocked on her lap. She sat in silence for a long while, allowing her thoughts to travel to memories of Jett. After some time, the silence became unbearable and she began to hear the flutter of a fly, yet couldn't pinpoint the noise. She searched the room with her eyes with very little luck. Her head snapped towards the door as the sound of the door knob turning caught her attention and in stumbled Darren.

His face was filled with shock but soon recovered. Eva didn't bother to address this.

"There's a fly in the room somewhere," she simply said, watching him walk further into the room. She noticed he was breathing hard, his chest moving up and down. No doubt, she was suspicious but she's always had a soft spot for him.

"Oh, err... do you want me to get it?" He asked, his voice was calm compared to the reaction of his body.

"No, leave it." Her voice was low, and then changed the subject. "You haven't changed?"

"I have no other clothes, what else am I going to wear? Nothing?" He winked, yet Eva was oblivious to his flirting.

"I'll get the secretary to get you some clothes while you're staying here." She reached for the phone on her desk, but Darren placed his hand over hers to prevent her from picking it up.

"No! It's fine. I sleep naked anyway," Darren blurted out. The quicker he left the better, he thought.

"OK, so why are you in here?" She changed the subject once again, hoping to catch him off guard.

"I got lost." He looked into her eyes and gave her a smile in the hope he wouldn't betray his true intentions.

"Don't play games with me!" she raised her voice, squinting at him.

"I came looking for you. I couldn't sleep," he answered, flinching from her sudden outburst. "Here, let me give you a massage and take some of that tension away."

He walked around her and placed his hands on her bare shoulders. He began to lightly press and Eva closed her eyes. They were like this for some time, making no sound.

"You should get some sleep." Darren broke the silence, eying the drawers of the desk.

"Mm, you're right," she replied, sitting up on the chair as Darren removed his hands. "You should too."

Eva pulled out the first drawer and picked up the Crest, holding it tight. Darren clenched his jaw, thankful Eva couldn't see his reaction. They exited the room and Eva walked Darren to his room before heading to hers.