Chapter Eleven: Kumiko

I walk away from the third year exam room, away from Serin, away from any residual feelings of civility I had for Charlotte Belle. As I walk down the halls I vow that she will pay. I was finally getting Serin to fall for me, and then she came along, in all her shining beauty. How come I never get what I wish for, while others are getting everything their hearts desire. Some would say it is because I have a higher intelligence than most. For that reason, I do not get a happy ending, and I'll never be powerful enough to succeed in this world. Which is why I bury myself in books, it gives me an alternate world to hide away in, shunning reality. I dream that there are Gods and DemiGods, true love. But then, when I lift my head from my book, I an sorely disappointed in this, a cruel reality. Us Faeries aren't tiny little creatures that cure nature; we are devilish creatures banned from both heaven and hell, with minimal amounts of magic. All we do is simply exist, waiting for someone to bring us to an alternate plane from Earth. The Earth is toxic to us, if we eat their food for more than fifteen years without any Faerie Fruit, we wither away. It isn't fair. I wish that I had been left with my human family; I wish that I could have withered away. Now, I can't die. Unless I don't eat the Fruit for another fifteen years. I walk until I reach the Moon Court. It is a small courtyard that has a reflection pool in the center that reflects the moon perfectly at its highest point, hence the name. The legend says that, if you make a pure wish on the night of a full moon, it will be granted. But, if your wish is unpure, the powers of darkness will consume you and ultimately destroy you. I take off my shoes and step into the pool. It is just my luck that it is a full moon tonight. I stand in the pool and wait for nightfall. I don't wait long, as it is winter here. As the moon makes its peak, I make a cup with my hands and raise them to the moon. I mutter my wish and close my eyes. No matter the outcome, my wish will be granted.
I wish to be perfectly happy.
My wish is perfect. It does not matter if it is pure or not, I will have my wish granted. The only way for me to be perfectly happy is for me to die. I feel the darkness itching into my heart, my soul. I smile euphorically. Finally. I think. All of a sudden I fall back into the pool. I look up at the sky, so filled with light, the stars creating patterns that disobey order. Yet, they are so.... Beautiful. These feelings leave me so fast, I get soul whiplash. I am filled with hatred, and darkness. I stand and walk back into the Academy, searching.