Chapter Six: Xeraph

Charlotte falls asleep in my arms, her face still red from the damage my brother did. Once she is fast asleep, I lay her down on the bed and walk quietly out of her room, and make my way to the infirmary to have a talk with Serin.
"Xeraph!" Serin seems surprised to see me, which doesn't seem too farfetched. I never intended on visiting my polar opposite twin brother, until, that is, he hurt Charlotte.
"You sick, sad child!" He looks confused, as if he hasn't any idea what I'm talking about. "Oh, come on! You remember, crushing poor Charlotte's heart, why would you do something like that? I know you are cruel, but this tops anything you've ever done." His face seems to change, as he realizes something.
"Are you sleeping with Charlotte?" His face shows utter disgust.
"No, but I am dating her, and we love each other." His eyes blaze with fury. "I can totally see what you saw in her, she is beautiful, smart and just rebellious enough to date me. But, there is this innocence that I just can't resist. So delicate and breakable..." He growls.
"You stay away from her, Xeraph! The only thing that will come of this relationship is Charlotte getting hurt. If you love her, just break up with her now."
"Why? So you can go ahead and date her? She hates you, Serin, she said so, when I found her sobbing in her bedroom. You should really feel ashamed." He ducks his head.
"I didn't mean it."
"It's too late now, brother. She will never love you now. Best to move on." He sighs. I start to walk away when,
"Xeraph, wait! Please tell Charlotte that I'm sorry. I don't care if she denies it, but, she needs to know that." I look at him dubiously.
"Of course I'll tell her. She won't forgive you though. And she won't stop hating you." I walk away, leaving Serin alone in the infirmary.

"He told you that?" Charlotte scoffs. "As if he is sorry, he purposely called me a demon. I mean, you guys are faeries! The angels that were too bad for heaven and too good for hell!? How does he think I'm worse than any of you? I am both angel and demon, a Nephalem. I am rare, and precious. But, no one can see me as a person now. Everyone just says 'ooh! She is special and powerful, let's be friends!' Not 'Wow! She is so cool, and I want to be her friend!'" I am getting tired of these talks. It is as if she is categorizing me with all the girls in the Academy. She suddenly stops and sighs. "I'm sorry. You are probably so tired of me talking about this." Bingo! "I know you care, and that you love me for me, but no one else seems to."
"Aw, I'm sorry, babe. Hey, would a trip to the beach cheer you up?" She smiles and I know her answer.

"Xeraph, I never want to see Serin ever again. Why can't he see that I'm just getting used to this life, and that I don't need him going and calling me a demon. I already don't fit in, I'm not even the same species as everyone else..."
"Hey." I pull Charlotte into my arms. "You aren't any different than anyone else, you're just more special." She steps away from me, showing me her slightly sunburned back.
"That's why I'm different, Xeraph." She hisses, shocking me with her cruelty. "You're a fool if you believe that I'm the same as faeries," she turns back to me. "who are between good and evil. My destiny is either good or evil. And I probably don't have a choice as to which one." I look down at her, her stance is wide and defensive.
"I'm sorry." I pull her to me and lean my chin on her head. "I'm sorry."