Prologue

EDIT: wooooo we reached 100 votes for the prologue! yay thank you guys!

Prologue

-- Summer's POV --

             "Honey, I'm home."

             My heart fluttered. The sound of his voice always did that to me - ever since we first met... I shook my head, snapping out of it quickly. You're mad at him, remember?

             That was right. I was mad at him. 

             His footsteps sounded and it took everything I had not to look up as he entered the room. My face stayed blank, all the emotions completely hidden.

             I felt his fingers on my hair, twisting one of my brunette locks thoughtfully. Damn him. Why did he know all my weak spots?

             Because he's your husband.

             I groaned and stood up, the chair scraping backwards and into him so he stumbled back slightly. Before he had time to regain his balance, I was out of there like a shot. 

             "Summer!"

             Usually, when he said my name, I would melt. But the way he said it was different. There was pure panic in his voice, but no love. 

             His fingers caught my hand and he spun my around. His appearance still sent my heart racing: the first thing I always noticed about Dennis were his eyes; intense blue surrounded by thick eyelashes. His dark hair was scruffy as always, but I sort of liked it that way. Dennis had just the right body as well, not too muscly but not too skinny. 

             Our eyes met and for one fleeting second, I was lost in a sea of sapphire-blue. Oh, his gorgeous eyes. They were just as enchanting as his voice...

             "Summer, what's wrong?" he asked, cupping my face and looking truly concerned about me. 

             "Don't act like you don't already know," I snapped, peeling his hands off of me and glaring at him.

             "What?" he asked, confused. "No, I really don't know. What's up?"

             I decided to voice my problem. That was what you did in relationships, right? You told each other how you felt.

             Averting my gaze away from him, I said, "Work."

             "Summer, you know I have to work late sometimes," he scolded teasingly. "There's nothing I can do about it."

             "I know," I mumbled, sighing. I'd heard it all before. There was always something going on that led to him staying at work. "It's just not fair, that's all."

             "I know, baby. I know," he soothed, resting his head on my shoulder. "You know I'm not lying, though. If I could, I'd spend all day with you." 

             "And Shelly."

             He frowned. "What about her?"

             There was pain in his voice that tore my heart out. But I had to confront him with it.

             "You two are so friendly. Too friendly, if you ask me."

             "What?" There was hurt in his deep blue eyes. Seeing him hurt like that hurt me, and I felt on the verge of tears. "You think... you think I'd do that to you?"

             "Yes," I said.

             "But I love you, Summer," he said, reaching for me. He wrapped his arms around me and I felt secure in them. "There will never be another girl for me."

             Those words were so sweet that I found myself smiling in spite of myself, and my heart warmed. It was so easy for Dennis to convince me.

             "Is she prettier that me?" I asked.

             Dennis ran a hand through my hair, and it felt soothing. "Oh, Summer," he said, laughing. "You don't know how beautiful you are. She is nothing compared to you."

             I rested my head on his chest, but said nothing. His words were sweet but there was something about his voice... something not right. But this was Dennis. He wouldn't do anything to hurt me... right? He loved me. He wouldn't, right?

             He kissed my forehead. "I love you."

             "I love you too."

**********

Thanks for reading & check out my other story "Imaginary Boyfriend" Please and thankyou xxx