Chapter 22-Annabeth Breaks Down and I Get a Promotion

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT IS INCLUDED IN THIS CHAPTER. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Chapter 22

Annabeth

As soon as the nightmare was over, and Chiron had spoken to us, I ran out of the Big House not even daring to look at Percy. Sure, maybe to Chiron I had done well, but I still couldn't shake the terrible nightmare I'd received. I ran to the washroom, tears threatening to spill as I locked myself up in a stall, trying to catch my breath. I tried not to think about the nightmare, it would only make me weaker against it, but I couldn't resist it. Percy and I were at our high school, walking home. Before we'd even made a few blocks, there was a gunshot, then screams, then an explosion. I gasped, looking at Percy as he said, "We have to go back. Someone's hurt. We can help." He started to run back but I grabbed his arm, "Percy, don't put yourself in danger! The fire department, the police, the ambulance- they're all coming to help those people. One teenage boy can't risk his life on something that authority can do. Okay, Percy? Let's just get home before anything else happens." I took him in the other direction, but then he yelled, "I can't believe how selfish you're being Annabeth! You can't just walk away from this!" He shot me an angry glance, and before I could get a harder grip on his arm, he was gone.

The scene changed, it was Percy and I fighting again. Tears filled my eyes, and then he did the unthinkable, he hit me. I felt a hard pain on my arm, and I knew it was a terrible bruise. This was not my Percy. The scene shifted just as Percy pushed me out the door. We were then back at school, but I was alone at my locker. Percy was nowhere to be found. I looked lonely. As I headed to my next class, I heard something farther down the hallway. The janitor's closet had been left slightly ajar, as hard, kissing noises and moans echoed out of it. Curious, I peeked in, only to see a horrific scene. Percy and one of my good friends, Teresa, making out in a janitor's closet! My heart broke, and then I was brought back to reality by a voice, "Annabeth? Are you okay?" After a few seconds of recuperating from that awful nightmare, I opened the stall door, walking out to see Clarisse, a worried look on her face. She must've known what happened to me because she grabbed my arm and took me to my cabin, understanding I didn't really want to talk. Since it was midday, none of my siblings were in our cabin, so Clarisse set me down, dropping a box of tissues on my bed as she said, "I don't know if you want to talk about this or if you'd rather just be left alone. But just let me know." I nodded "Alone?" "Yes, thank you." I said. She nodded, and left. I sat there drying my tears as I fell asleep.

When I woke up, it was already time to leave, our visit to Camp Half-Blood over for the day. We'd have to come back in two days. As I stood up frm my bed, I heard a familiar voice, turning my head to see Percy kneeling on the floor by my bed. I forced a small smile as he said, "Annabeth, I need to know, are you feeling okay? Don't worry it was only our first lesson, we'll get better at blocking out these nightmares, they're a lot worse than I had expected." I nodded, as he sat next to me on my bed, thumbing my palm as he stared into my eyes. I felt like crying again when I saw his eyes, and his lips, the lips that had kissed Teresa. he seemed to have noticed how I was avoiding his gaze, "Beth, what's wrong? Was it the nightmare? Did I-I hurt you in some way...in-in the nightmare." I nodded, biting my lip. He broke out in a cry as he said, "I know I shouldn't be saying sorry, because, it was a nightmare, but...whatever happened, I would never-" "You abused me," I said "In the nightmare...and-and y-you made-out wi-with Teresa, I don't actually know who she is, but I felt this emotion, and my brain was telling me I knew her and that I should be angry. An-and we also had this fight and-" Percy stopped me, embracing me in a hug. I couldn't hold it in anymore, I cried into his shoulder. He softly brushed his lips against my forehead, stroking my hair, calming me down in a soothing voice. After a while, he picked me up and carried me outside, bringing me to the taxi cab we had called earlier today. But instead, he took me to the beach. He lied down in the sand, placing me on his lap, I smiled, brushing away any tears. I knew for sure my makeup was running, but I really didn't care. This was the real Percy, my Percy, and I knew by his personality that everything in my nightmare would never come true. All of the thinking and worrying over this nonsense had roused me up, making me exhausted. Soon enough, I was fast asleep, lying on the warm beach, my head on Percy's chest.

Percy

The next day, we woke up, forgetting that we had missed the cab we called yesterday. Oh well, I thought. We'll just get one today. I stroked Annabeth's hair as her eyelashes fluttered open, I smiled, helping her up to her feet as we both stretched and yawned. We headed to the dining hall for a quick breakfast. Saying farewell to the campers, I headed back to my apartment. Annabeth waved farewell as she stayed in the cab, ordering the cab driver to drop her off at her new job. Annabeth had gotten a job all the way across the city, nearby the bay. It was a beautiful part of the city, and was a walk away from a nice private beach area. I had heard that homes there were expensive, since they got a private beach and a big lot and all. I sighed as Annabeth left. I definitely needed a job. Right now I was working at an aquarium, but today I had an appointment with the head of the aquarium for a job offer that he said would "suit my fancy". I chuckled when I recapped that conversation with him, grabbing my coat and walking to the building where the meeting was being held. I walked in the big, steel doors, entering a large and open hallway. Sure, it wasn't the biggest building in Manhattan, but this aquarium had money and if you knew your stuff, you'd get a great job as part of this company. I entered the elevator, going up the floors until I'd found his office. I walked into a large, modern office overlooking the city skyline through its big windows. There he was, the head manager. I sat down, waiting as he finally spoke, "Hello, Jackson. Good to see you today." he smiled, and I replied, "Good to see you too, sir." He moved his chair closer to me, staring deep into my eyes as he said, "I called you in today to talk to you about a job offer. I know it may seem to you that working at the aquarium wouldn't have brought you to bigger things, but I'm just about to prove to you that that statement is incorrect. You see, over this year you've been working here, I've been told that you are overly knowledgeable about marine biology. Well, I've been talking lately with a few other organizations who are looking for participants in a new job in marine biology. Now, I usually hate to get rid of bright, workers, but this will also help our aquarium if you choose to take this job. This organization, is working by the bay to experiment and work on cleaning the water, helping the underwater animals nearby, etc. You would be moving farther outwards, but it's good pay, $90, 000 a month, as well as the homes and resources there are very nice, definitely a great place to live if you get the chance. So, waddaya say?"

My mouth gaped open as I replied, "Wow, sir, this is perfect! Thank you so much for this oppurtunty! I'm so grateful for being chosen, and you would not believe how convenient it really is. Are you sure I'm ready sir? I don't want too disappoint since I'm so young...and...$90, 000. Wow. I'll take it" I smiled, as the manager took my hand and said, "You're hired."

Annabeth

As I got back from work, I went to my temporary home, Percy's apartment. I knocked on the door and it flew open, Percy smiling and embracing me in a hug as he said excitedly, "I have amazing news Annabeth! You're going to love it!" He dropped me on the couch, sitting beside me as I asked, "So what's the news?" He smiled, "I got a really good job! It's close to where you work, and it pays $7200 a month!" I screamed, pecking Percy on the lips as I said, "That's amazing Percy! We'll be able to start a life together!" After I said it, Percy smiled, taking me by the waist and plopping me on top of him. He dove in for a kiss, moving up and down my jaw, grazing my neck, teasing me with his kisses, then coming back to my lips. He played against my bottom lip, begging for entrance, and I let him. His tongue wiggled inside my mouth, wrestling with my tongue. His kisses grew harder and harder and harder, making me moan in pleasure. I started to pull at his buttoned-up shirt, a look of surprise was on his face as I winked at him. I started to pull on the very last of his buttons, when he quickly straightened up, looking me in the eye as he said, "I don't think this is a good idea, not now. I'm sorry Annabeth, but the time is just not right." I frowned, but then replied, "I-I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I guess it's because...I-I want you so badly. I feel really embarrassed, we shouldn't do anything like this until we're married, I could never live with myself if I actually did that with someone who I'm not married to. Also, I would never try to do it to someone I don't love." I smiled sheepishly, he grinned back, grasping my hand as he said, "It was my fault too, I egged it on a little too much." He winked and I laughed. Then he suggested, "Why don't we watch a movie?" I nodded, as we curled up on the couch, his warmth radiating on me like a warm blanket, and his soft, delicate scent of the sea made me feel relaxed. He looked at me with his sea green eyes, glistening in the soft moonlight. He smiled as I kissed him on the lips, both his hands enclosed with mine. We eventually dropped our hands, returning to our previous position to watch the movie. As it grew later, I fell asleep in his arms.