Chapter 12-Bearer of Bad News

Chapter 12

Percy

We had arrived at my favourite hamburger joint, along with Annabeth'd. It was awesome, as always, and everyone agreed. Not to mention, guess who got to join us? My best bud, Grover! It was so nice to hang out with him again; Leo, in particular, had a blast with him. Grover was still a little ill from the Camp Jupiter attack, but he was certainly doing better than the majority of the campers.

The night was full of laughter, mixed with relief, at the fact that we could finally all just have a good time with each other without the fear of a monster arising from under our table.

However, not all was forgotten, as the one thing that still poked at my mind was the fact that I had to bear the news to Piper about Jason leaving for San Fran. While this bothered me, I was especially angry at Jason. Why couldn't he tell Piper?! If he didn't know, which would be super annoying, then I was going to have to tell the both of them. All the frustration swelled up in me suddenly deflated, as I was brought back to reality, watching as Annabeth laughed happily. I made a small grin, my eyes staring at her lovingly; she was simply beautiful. Always managing to make me and the people around her smile. Well, occasionally, unless she's in a don't-talk-to-me-or-I-will-certainly-kill-you mood.

After dinner, everyone was prepared to leave, except for me, as I ordered Jason and Piper to stay put, for I had news to share.

Piper smiled, "So what's up Percy?"

"You want to talk to us about something?"

"Yes," I said.

"It has to do with Jason, particularly," I added, gazing at their faces to study their reactions. I couldn't read anything on their indifferent features.

"Okay," Jason said, eyeing me hesitantly.

Suddenly, he seemed agitated,"What's going on? I'd like to know, now," he said, rather hastily.

"Well," I began

"You know how Hazel and Frank are leaving for Camp Jupiter tomorrow? Well, Jason is too. He's been scheduled to meet at the pier tomorrow morning, and reclaim his spot as leader of the Twelfth Cohort."

There was silence, then Piper burst out in a slightly panicked cry, "Really? Why does this have to happen? I am not letting Jason go back, I don't trust Reyna! You saw what she did to Camp Half-Blood! Let's not forget Annabeth's outburst at her! For once in her life, she finally spoke up for Camp! No matter how silly this may seem, I don't want him to go!" Piper was in hysterics, her mind aching at all the angry thoughts.

"Well," I said, trying to release the tension, "I understand your concern Piper, and you must know that I am simply carrying this message to you as a friend, but perhaps we should let Jason give his thought on this."

I felt so stupid saying that.

Jason looked up at me, he'd been staring at his feet the whole time. Then his gaze turned to Piper, "I love you Piper, but my duty is at Camp Jupiter and...I can't leave them forever. While I was gone, Percy was their temporary leader, and he was amazing. But, it's where I've always belong. I will always love you Piper, I plan to visit you constantly, especially when Hazel and Frank visit. Speaking of those two, they're going to need me, and I-I can't-I'm sorry Piper, I must go."

Tears flooded Piper's eyes, cascading down her face silently. I felt a deep pit in the bottom of my stomach. This was so not good.

Piper composed herself, gazing at Jason admiringly, as she replied, "Okay."

Annabeth

As Percy walked out, followed by Jason and a wet-eyed Piper on his shoulder, I knew something was wrong.

Everyone else had headed back to camp, but Percy and I had planned to leave later, and hang out for a bit, sort of like a date after the date.

It was 12pm when we got back to camp, and I was beaten-down tired.

Once we had arrived at Camp Half-Blood, I was so exhausted from the day's events that I lost my balance, falling into Percy's arm. With a quiet, "ow", Percy took me in his arms, guiding me to his cabin. He laid me down on his bed as I barely murmured, "Percy I can't-"

"Don't worry," he said, "You're too tired to reach your cabin tonight, just stay here with me."

I was too tired to resist, so I let him tuck me in. He then joined me, turning off the light and grabbing my hand. I smiled in the dark as he gripped my hand softly, enveloping his fingers in between mine.

Without thinking, I turned my head towards his, and gave him a passionate kiss. He turned on the light, looked at me with a surprised, yet sly, grin, and grabbed me by the waist, kissing me back. I lay my hand on his back, reaching my other hand up to his hair, twisting my fingers through his thick mane. I rolled onto him, continuing the kiss, moving my hands to his stomach. I began to feel a sudden sense of spontaneous desire, as I clenched my fist, sliding my fingernails lightly along his back, bringing him even closer to me.

He looked at me mischievously, yet confused, "What's up with you?"

I giggled, "Just feeling a little spontaneous." He smiled, taking me by the waist, tighter.