Chapter 47 - World's Greatest Parents

Percy

As Annabeth lay down on the bed, awaiting the arrival of my doctor, I took her hand in my own, squeezing hers, reassuringly. In all honesty, I too needed the assurance, and her tight squeeze in return allowed me to relax even the slightest bit. Soon enough, our doctor returned, and the sonogram procedure began.

I watched curiously as the thick gel was spread along the front of Annabeth's protruding belly. My eyes glazed with worry as Annabeth winced, and as she noticed me staring, concern etched on my face, she gave me a small smile.

"It's just a little cold," she said, "Don't worry, Percy, I'm fine." That made our doctor chuckle, and I pursed my lips in a small frown, but Annabeth just grinned, rolling her eyes. The two of them chatted as she rubbed the jelly along Annabeth's stomach, before she set up the rest of the equipment for the ultrasound. I could feel myself quivering, an evident anticipation passing through me. This was the first time I was going to see my baby, hear their heartbeat. I couldn't contain my excitement.

Finally, our doctor set up the image, and the figure of our child was directly in front of us. Annabeth gasped, and I grabbed her hand, holding it close. I swallowed proudly, a sense of accomplishment and gratitude transforming me into a teary-eyed soon-to-be father. Which, I was, and it scared me as much as it thrilled me. I would never have imagined that I would have made it to this point, to be able to live a happy, wholesome life. To be completely honest, I thought I was meant to die at the age of seventeen. But yet, I was here, and thank the gods I was, as this moment was one that made me feel truly important, a hero, by definition. Nothing would be able to compare to the moment when I would be able to hold my little infant, and feel the weight of them in my arms. This was going to be a wild ride, but it would be worth everything, if only to bring our healthy baby into the world.

Annabeth

Percy and I stared at the sonogram, our mouths agape, my eyes wet no more than Percy's. I could feel the emotion and tenderness radiating off him, as though he was completely oblivious to all except our child's tiny body, the image in front of our proud eyes. The doctor looked at us, expectantly, and I averted my gaze from the screen, patting Percy's hand to gear his attention towards our doctor. When we both looked tentatively at her, she smiled.

"So, now that you've gotten to see the fetus, I take it that you'd like to know the gender?" I beamed, and looked at Percy, who smiled back at me tenderly. He nodded instantly at our doctor, and she grinned. She removed some of the equipment from the room, along with helping Annabeth sit upright, and made her way to scribble some notes in her binder; she was clearly stalling.

"I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't mind, Dr. Shaw, I would really like to know our baby's gender before they're already born." I said impatiently, a hint of humour in my voice.

"Percy." I stated cautiously, but our doctor simply chuckled.

"It's a girl." I let out a squeal as Percy sighed pleasantly. Then our doctor grabbed her binder, and drew nearer, grabbing her chair in the process.

"Your baby is a girl, and so far she seems to be in fine condition, which is good news. Over the next few weeks, before your due date, Annabeth, you will be required to have a few examinations, to ensure that the baby's health is still in order before delivery. Thankfully, though, you have nothing to worry about, so I'll see you at your next appointment."

"Thank you so much, Dr. Shaw," I said, before exiting the room, entering the waiting area.

As Percy and I left the doctor's office, in bright spirits, I was in a state of complete content. I lay my hand on my stomach with honour and pride, as I felt the little human kicking inside. I would be the first to admit that I was scared, and anxious, all the damn time. But, hey, I had come this far, conquered battles against dangerous monsters, survived the deepest depths of Tartarus; surely I could handle giving birth and taking care of a baby? Percy and I may not end up being the World's Greatest Parents, but we were going to try our very best to be the greatest parents for our beautiful girl, whether or not we die from exhaustion in the process.