Chapter 19-Gaea's Revenge

Chapter 19

 Percy

 Terrible flashbacks swirled in my head, a huge headache making me groan in anguish. The flashbacks, some from past events, turning into horrific scenes, most ending with someone I love dying. There was also future events, and even some things that I never experienced but could have if my life had ended up in a different direction. Most of my flashbacks were about my mom and Annabeth, the most important women in my life. One featured Annabeth and me, in high school. This never actually happened after all the chaos, I never really had a full year of high school. Anyway, the scenes kept shifting. Annabeth and I chatting and kissing in the hallway, standing by our lockers, Annabeth giggling. I was wearing a sweatshirt that said I was a part of the swim team, cool! I was even captain! I was popular, and so was Annabeth. Then it changed. Annabeth and I at our senior prom. Annabeth looked gorgeous in a  long, flowy turquoise dress, her eyes lighting up as I came to her house to pick her up. Gods, this was really weird. We seemed to have had a lot of fun, even though it never happened. I awoke, breathing heavily, sweat on my brow. I opened my eyes, my vision blurry. As the room came into focus, Annabeth came into view, hovering over me. Annabeth reached over, tilting my chin to give me a sip of water. It wasn't like ambrosia, but it certainly helped my headache. "Wh-what happened to me?" I asked Annabeth. She sat down on the floor next to me, whispering in my ear, "You had a flashaback Percy. Rarely are they future events, but mostly past events that have an occurrence of someone you love dying or suffering from something terrible. "How do you know about all of this?" "Because," she said "I've suffered a few myself." I was shocked at her statement, a look of confusion on my face as I said, "Why have they just started happening now?" Annabeth began to explain "After our time in Tartarus, our encounters with Gaea and all the challenges we faced, Gaea's power...basically...sort of...triggered our brain cells, leaving them sort of...frightened. As you may have noticed, after the Titan War, your nightmares that you received regularly became more severe. Every encounter that you face, the stronger it is, the stronger your mental weakness will be. But don't worry Percy, we'll get through this together. I've been getting them around the same time as you, because I've faced the same thing you did. We will survive, together.

 "Hey! Leave that girl alone young man! And clean up this mess! You live like a pig and I don't like how my stepson had to live in your smelly conditions!" 

 Just then, two people came into my room. I turned my head, my mouth gaping in shock as my mom and Paul walked in, Paul's face red with anger. He muttered something under his breath, probably a continuation of his conversation with Toby in the living room...

 My mom gave me a quick smile, helping me to my feet along with Annabeth. I gave my mom and Paul a quick hug, explaining what happened, both of them listening intently. After I had finished explaining, Paul looked worried and my mom was close to tears, embracing me in a hug. Eventually, the four of us hopped into the car Paul rented, making our way to my graduation ceremony. I was totally nervous, my palms clammy as I held onto Annabeth's hand. She didn't seem to notice, but I certainly felt embarrassed about it.

 The ceremony was very emotional, even for me. So yeah, I didn't really make a lot of friends (unless a slobby roommate counts), but I was graduating, I was becoming an adult, living life alone, well, sort of. I thought I was going to lose my balance and fall off the stage as I received my award for top honours. Annabeth beamed at me, her cheeks streaked with happy tears. Beatrice clapped like it was her job, and her life depended on it, while my mom and Paul clapped, smiled and even whooped for extra effect. How embarrassing.

 After, the five of us (since Beatrice arrived) headed out for a nice dinner. My parents got acquainted with Beatrice, saying what a nice, mature and socialable young girl she was.

 Annabeth

 I was so happy for Percy, the two of us couldn't stop beaming at dinner, holding hands and pecking each other on the cheek every few minutes. The two of us had a great time celebrating, laughing smiling, hugging, kissing. Sure, it might've been a bit awkward, with his parents and Tris, but they didn't mind. The whole night was filled with a happy glow, but deep down inside I felt a cold, deep hole. It was sad that I was graduating, leaving school forever, leaving many friends, saying goodbye to the cozy, student life, saying hello to the real world. Even demigods feel this way, and I certainly felt nauseous every time I thought about it. I've fought thousands of monsters, but yet, I can't even face reality? Pathetic, Annabeth. Pathetic. I started to hyperventilate, I was overthinking this...I was. I looked at Percy, his smiling face, his green eyes, sparkling. That was the last thing I saw before I fell to the floor.

 A scream. An ambulance. Percy. Him and I, walking through the hallways of...a high school? We were smiling, holding hands. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a group of boys...a gang...a gang of thugs. We must have been leaving school at the end of the day,we walked outside the door, heading home. The gang jumped in front of us. We stopped, me grabbing my knife from my back pocket, as always. Suddenly, I was grabbed, the life sucked out of me as someone choked my neck. I tried to scream, to warn Percy, to help him, but nothing came out. He was attacked by the majority of the gang, their knives pointed at his throat. Tears filled my eyes, blood spilled.

 I screamed, waking up in a hospital bed. Percy clutched my hand, my gaze turning to him. He knew exactly what happened to me. This was getting weird. I sat in the hospital room, covered in a nightgown and attached to a couple wires. Percy was the only one in the room, his parents in the waiting room outside. Suddenly, the door flew open, and a graceful, tall, slender, gray-eyed women walked to my bed, grabbing a chair and sitting next to me.

 "Mom?" I said drearily She smiled a weak smile, "Hello, my dear child. How are you feeling?" she looked genuine, but when her gaze turned to Percy, her gray-eyes narrowed, a storm brewing in the dark flecks. Gods, she hated Percy. She then turned back to me, continuing, "I came here beacause I wanted to make sure you were alright. I've been watching you, dear. I immediately came because I know you and...P-Percy have been having...serious nightmares and flashbacks. Some other gods and me believe this problem is quite an issue for you both, and we would like to arrange a meeting with you next week, to discuss a solution or even possibly some solutions. I know you are smart enough Annabeth that you've realized this, these problems are rooted to your time in Tartarus, but we wish to find out a way to help the both of you. Meet us next Thursday on Olympus, 12;30 sharp." She winked at me, stood up, put her chair away, and vanished.