Chapter 29: White

Chapter 29:

It was a sense of deja vu. 

The white lights, the brightness killing my eyes, and the small murmuring voices that seemed distant, but so near. 

My head was pounding and my body was sore. It took nearly all my strength to push open my eyes. But when I did, I wished I hadn't. 

I groaned as I realized where I was. The white ceilings, the white walls. The white hospital sheets lying over my body clad in a white hospital gown. There were plastic white chairs on one wall, pushed so they were facing each other, which meant that I had visitors. 

But I was in the hospital.

The events of what I last remembered came back to me. The glorious night on the cliff under the sky of brilliant stars and the white shining moon...dancing under the moonlight with Niall...then the crash. I remembered the car, swerving like someone drunk was behind the wheel.

Then after that, I hardly remembered anything. There was a scream, the sounds of sirens, many many voices, but I couldn't recall anything that wasn't fuzzy in my mind. 

The moniter next to me was beeping steadily, which had me wondering.

Had I slipped into another dreadful coma? How long has it been since the crash? A week? A month? Could it be another year? 

I winced as I sat up straighter on the bed, plumping the pillow behind me. I was beginning to get sick of the color white. On my wedding day, I wouldn't be surprised if I wanted everything in the color yellow or blue or something like that. 

White was a sickening memory. 

There was a sound of bustling outside, but I couldn't see outside the door. There was a small window there, but all I saw were the heads of various people that I didn't recognize. 

I looked out of the window, and it seemed like the same season it had been when I was last awake, but it could've been last year. It could've been two years ago.

But it also could've been yesterday. 

The door opened and I heard two voices. 

"She's better than off than him," Breanna said, "the doctor did say that she was supposed to wake up either today or tomorrow."

"It'd be weird if we came in and she was already awake," another voice chimed in. Charley's I was sure. I had missed all those girls back in London, but they were here?

Of course they were. They were here to support their boyfriends, whose bandmate was just in a car crash. Niall.

Niall.

What had happened to Niall? The car came swerving on the side Niall was at, not the other side like last time. But this could mean anything. The car could've just hit the back of the car, the area of the trunk. This didn't mean Niall was dead...or hurt...or anything of the sorts... But Breanna's words echoed in my head. She's better off than him.

Breanna and Charley walked in, heading for the wall where the white plastic chairs were. Maybe it was already an instinct to head there rather than look at me on the bed. Maybe after a few days, they were sick of seeing me unconcious, just lying there on the bed like I'd never wake.

I knew that was what the case would be if that ever happened to me. 

"Hey guys. What're you doing here?" I asked. 

Both girls turned sharply, almost knocking each other down in the process. Breanna held her hand over her chest and Charley was holding onto the arm of the plastic white chair. That couldn't be very stable.