Chapter 3

A.C.

Furiously scribbling notes on Japanese customs, which I have been at for well over an hour because a tea ceremony is so unbelievably detailed and precise that I've now developed hand cramp number four.

Placing my pen down, a knock on my office door only adds to my irritation and frustration.

How I'd like to pull my hair out and give a little scream.

"Who is it?" I asked sharply.

My intruder simply opens the door and waltzes in, depositing himself on a chair opposite my desk.

"Not now, Bradford," I said, not bothering to glance up from my notes.

Even the air around him was filled with self-entitlement meant to suppress the oxygen I breath.

He doesn't have an inkling of this or how I've been thoroughly busy, trying to work on his event. "And it is a pleasure seeing you as well, Ms. Clement."

"What do you want?"

"No manners whatsoever," he commented unfettered.

Rolling my eyes, I pause from my scribbling and look up. "You can blame it on my upbringing. Now what do you want because I'm in the middle of deciding whether to serve wagashi or mochi with tea."

"Delicious but I've dropped by to discuss your plans for this evening."

"You came here on a social visit?" I questioned thinly, my fingers pulsing from the furious note-taking.

"Not quite, but answer my question first."

"Firstly, you didn't ask a question and secondly, this is hardly the time. I have only four days to finalise everything and your interference is violating our bet," I heaved out, breathless once I'm finished.

He doesn't move an inch from the chair and merely leans in closer, placing an elbow on my desk. "There were no ground rules to begin with. And this social run as you call it, is to your benefit."

"which is?" I'm hanging on by a thread. I have barely gotten a wink of sleep, have indulged on caffeine excessively to the point of being labeled an addict and have gone back and forth between the office and venue far too many times.

"I would like you to meet Mr. Yamato in person."

This makes me drop the pen in my hands, and it falls onto the floor with a tingle. "WHAT? Before the welcoming party? And he's already here?" My mind races at this information and I feel too unprepared.

"He arrived earlier than scheduled but if you meet the man in person, I'm sure it will give you some insight on his interests and dislikes."

"But I already have all that down on paper," I remarked feebly, my body physically wilting in my chair.

"Will you meet him or not, Ms. Clement?" Edward asked more strongly, an edge to his voice.

"If you've already told him I would see him, I hardly think I can refuse."

"Excellent, shall we go then?"

"NOW?" I yelped, stunned.

"Yeah. Why? Is there someone you need to meet?"

"You want me to see him now, dressed like this?" I wave my hand in a downwards motion to emphasise my lack of sophistication.

I was gracefully wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and my University t-shirt since I needed clothing I could breathe in while running around.

"I hardly think I'm dressed for the occasion," I concluded, giving Edward a tired sigh.

"Hmm, we may have a problem convincing the restaurant to allow you to get past the doors."