Chapter 13

A.C.

"That's practically a confession! A CONFESSION, Aubrey!" Maggie screeched.

"Maggie, I don't think you'll ever understand that Edward and I absolutely hate one another." Rolling my eyes, I open my new fridge and take out a bacardi, one for myself and one for my house guest.

After Edward left me, I couldn't make heads or tails out of what he said and called Maggie over to explain what his mysterious words could possibly mean. 

A confession however, far from it. I'm positive that would be the last thing Edward meant.

"Aubrey, listen to me very carefully. You're the only one who shows any kind of hatred. Edward has been nothing but nice to you," she said shrugging.

Sighing, I fold my arms across my chest as my body tenses with defiance. "Maggie, whose friend are you anyways? Mine or Edward's?"

A pathetic attempt to end the conversation but the only one I can conjure. Her words sink deeply, sending a pang of guilt directly to my heart.

Regretfully, what she says is the gospel truth. Edward has been nothing but saintly recently but that's what terrifies me.

I don't know how to cope with nice Edward.

Rude, obnoxious, and beastly Edward is the one I grew up with. I knew how to cope with bad Edward not nice Edward.

"Aubrey, at this rate you'll break the poor guy's heart. Can't you simply forgive and forget?" Maggie urged.

"There's no forgiveness when the person responsible for a lifetime of misery doesn't even apologise. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Maggie, but this fairy tale idea of me and Edward together will never happen," I said defiantly.

Taking a a few sips of my drink, I walk away from the kitchen and stare out the new apartment's magnificent view.

The only thing that's like a fairytale are the twinkling lights of the distant city. Nothing else could be as magical as that.

I've learned never to wish for something or be too hopeful because once you have everything you dream of, it vanishes - disappears or dies right before your very eyes.

"Aubrey, if this is about Sarah-" Closing my eyes, I know it's no use lying to her.

"I'm scared, Maggie. And it is about Sarah. He's the living, breathing embodiment of Sarah. When I see him, I think of her and it terrifies and upsets me altogether," I admitted quietly.

"So what you're essentially saying, is that it isn't Edward but the memory of Sarah?" Maggie prodded, tilting her head to get a better look at my face.

"No, what I'm saying is several things at once. Edward and I have a deep and long history. It's messy and shadowy, Maggie. And neither one of us should be getting any closer than we already are."

"That's a load of bull, Aubrey, and you know it!" Maggie insisted, shaking her head.

"Maggie I-"

"No, this is fate! Do you need a huge sign to spell it out for you? What happens in the past, stays in the past. Both of you need to let go and move on. Edward seems to be the only one walking in the right direction. Maybe you should too." Downing her drink, she grabs her bag and storms out of the apartment, slamming the door shut.

I don't even manage to register her anger before she stomps back in, "By the way, is this stalker man of yours hot?" Clearing her throat, she avoids all eye contact with me and I scoff.

"If he's better looking than Edward then please send me on that date instead of you," Maggie added after a beat.

"Wait, how did you-"