Chapter 11

A.C.

"Please tell me you're kidding?" I asked almost begging.

"No. I live right across the hall. So don't be a stranger, neighbour." Winking, Edward leaves me standing with my mouth gaping like a fish.

Edward Bradford is my neighbour!

This will either give me daily bouts of anxiety or I may just kill myself while trying to cope with my new neighbour.

Not only will I see the man at work but practically every single day outside of the office. Looking at my surroundings, the once extravagant apartment has now turned into a dungeon of depression.

Frowning, I find Nick lazily relaxing on a couch watching television and Edward busy in the kitchen...making himself right at home.

"Nick, can I please move in with you?" I begged in a whisper.

"What? Aubrey, look. You think it's a bad idea, then you like it, and now you hate it! Make up your mind will you!" Slapping his arm, I sink lower against the expensive couch and grunt out of frustration.

He's right of course, I couldn't alter things just because my mood demanded it.

Who knows how much Edward spent on the place. I can't throw away his act of strange kindness out the door like this. 

Even as I come to this conclusion, my senses scream in protest and it takes all my willpower not to bolt.

"Looks like you won't have much to pack. I'll go rent a truck tomorrow and we can move whatever you need over. And please, if you do decide to move out because of something Bradford says or does, don't call me up in the middle of the night," Nick added grouchily, giving me a remorseless look.

Narrowing my eyes at my brother, I fold my arms defiantly.

Did he honestly think Edward had this much of a hold on me? The man irritates me beyond recognition but I could stand my own ground and take it - I could give him a taste of his own medicine.

"Don't worry, Nick. I don't plan on it," I finally affirmed, determined to make a point.

"Good. Now since that's settled, I think it's time to head back and get some work done. Need to be dropped off anywhere?" He asked, getting ready to leave.

"Could you take me to Patrick's shopping district? I need to find a dress for that gala on Friday. I told Jackson I'd meet him around noon," I said, reminding myself that my first real errand girl task has yet to be completed.

"You told Jackson what?" A frosty tone from behind me makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

Turning, I see a frown set on Edward's face and a look that could murder several people at once.

"I'll go start the car. Finish signing those papers and meet me downstairs," Nick mumbled and quickly exits.

Traitor. Leaving me to the wolf.

The door closes silently behind him and the atmosphere becomes heavy with tension crackling in the air and nervousness on my part.

Edward's eyes are still on me while my own eyes stay glued to the door. He takes a step towards me and I involuntarily gulp before glancing up to see brown eyes glaring with an emotion that's implacable.

"Wha-what?" I stammered.

"Why are you meeting with Jackson?" Edward asked stonily.

"That doesn't concern you, Bradford."

"Aubrey-"

"Look. Whatever happens outside of the office doesn't have anything to do with you. As your secretary and assistant, we thought it would be better to match for the event," I said, providing him with more information than I had in mind.