Chapter 28

A.C.

"Confess what?"

"Confess...how much she really loves the island! Right Aubrey?" Maggie's shaky answer has not only saved my face, but has saved me from something I promised to avoid until either one of us calls it quits of this game of cat and mouse that Edward and I are playing. 

"Oh, yeah. Of course... and did you even knock?" I added hurriedly, my voice just as shaky as my friend's.

Side eyeing both me and Maggie with an undetectable glint, Edward shrugs. "I knocked twice and no one answered."

"Guess we didn't hear you, has her brother arrived yet?" Maggie asked, clearing her throat and glancing edgeways, away from Edward.

"Nick's coming?" I asked bitterly, cracking my fingers and with malice written all over my face.

"Yeah, he'll be here in another three hours," Edward offered, still observing me with an inkling of doubt.

"Lovely, I get to kill him sooner than I expected," I muttered, leaning away from the brown eyes full of suspicion.

Maggie sighs dramatically, shaking her head at the wrath emanating from me. "You're really not going to let him live?"

"After staying up all night? Never."

"He meant it in the best way possible."

"Unless I can make him work his ass off like a dog, there is absolutely no way my older brother is going to be leaving this island," I said sullenly, glowering at the thought of Nick chatting with Edward and deciding that working his younger sister to the bone, was the answer to a convenient distraction.

"Erm, maybe we should let you sleep. Cranky Aubrey is a tad bit frightening, wouldn't you agree Edward?" Maggie asked, slowly backing away from me like I've lost my sense of reason.

Glancing at Maggie, he looks back at my sullen expression before smirking. "I find it cute."

"Cute?" Raising a questioning eyebrow at him, I cross my arms defensively.

"I've dealt with cranky Aubrey long enough, that I find it cute."

"I am not cute," I declared solemnly, pointing a spatulate finger at him.

"Yes you are." His bold statement somewhat idiotically pleases me, but damn my heart for reacting with a somersault.

"Aw, you two are such lovebirds," Maggie cooed, swaying mockingly with her hands clasped.

Offering my dear ex-coworker a scathing look, which says 'do you want to die?' She clamps up and walks over to a walk-in closet. 

Grinning at me, Edward steps closer and does the most annoying thing - he starts tickling my chin; this has been his strange habit ever since we were kids. Whenever I felt uncomfortable, tickling my chin, and agitating the hell out of me was his way to make a point, flustering me further. I actually thought he forgot his annoying habit but like many things, I was wrong.

Staring at his hand, I wait a few moments before pouncing, aiming to bite his wrist off but he quickly retreats it.

"What the hell?" He questioned demandingly.

"Don't act like I'm your pet, Bradford. I do bite."

"I gave you tea, a book, and vacation. How can you bite my precious hand?"

"Just because you give a dog treats, doesn't mean it won't bark at you."

"You do realise, that you just used a pet analogy, right?"