Chapter 16

A.C

Groaning, my eyes crack open and one glance at the clock sends me jolting awake.

I've been asleep for four hours! Edward's sleeping figure shifts next to me and I frown when I see his hand lazily placed against my thigh.

Getting out of bed, I run into the bathroom and take the quickest shower of my life, making a mad dash in simply a towel wrapped around me and dress in temporary plain clothes before blow drying my hair.

A massive and loud yawn from the other side of the room informs me that Edward's awake. "What time is it?" he asked, rubbing the back of his head and his hair looks even more disheveled than last night.

"Well, within three hours we need to be at the reception hall before the gala starts," I stated nervously, eyeing the clock every few minutes.

"Oh."

"I didn't want to wake you, so I tucked you into bed," Edward said lightly, offering me an explanation since I haven't voiced a word but really, I was trying to forget how easily I fell asleep and never felt as if an intruder was next to me.

A smug look crosses his face at my silence. Rolling my eyes, I continue blow drying my hair choosing to ignore that insinuation entirely.

"You should get dressed soon. Jackson will be here with the car in an hour," I added, quickly applying makeup like my life dependent on it.

"Yes, ma'am."He heads for my bathroom and I turn on my heel and yank his arm back, preventing him from taking another step.

"And where do you think you're going?" I demanded, a bottle of concealer clutched in my other hand.

"To take a shower."

"Right. I think you're poorly mistaken because you'll be getting dressed and ready in your own apartment," I said pointedly, making sure he hears every syllable with clarity.

"But, Aubrey-"

"Edward! Stop sounding like a child and get ready!"

"Fine." The man actually pouts before storming out of my room and I hear the front door slam close.

What's he getting upset about? I needed my space to get ready without brown smouldering eyes following me every step of the way.

Finished with my hair and makeup, I walk towards my closet and scan the few dresses that I have since I completely forgot to go out and buy one all week.

With my argument with Edward and worrying over his cold and then of course, mystery man who is no longer a mystery, my mind was occupied and it slipped.

Now what am I going to do? Groaning, I analyse all the dresses and discard them with a distasteful frown. Entering the living room, I pick up the cordless home phone and dial Maggie's number.

"Hello?" Maggie greeted, picking up on the third ring.

"Maggie, I need a dress."

"Sorry, Aubrey but I can't help you there. Cindy has my hands full with a new client and I'm miles away from your place."

Nibbling on a nail, I glance at the time once more and grimace. "What am I going to do? I have less than forty minutes to find a dress!"

"Just wear one of your older dresses."

"None of them are fit for this charity gala. It's going to be filled with people in designer labels and I don't have anything remotely close to that."

"Sorry, Aubrey, I wish I could help."