Chapter 5

A.C.

The Ritz Blitz.

A joint bordering between a high class restaurant and club, hence its name. The Ritz being a grand hotel and Blitz being the only word besides Glitz that rhymes to give it that musical quality.

It also happens to be the ideal place to drown your sorrows. Alcohol is offered like water, glass after glass.

"Why did they have to go there?" I muttered under my breath.

Unfortunately, Edward picks up on my question."You don't want to go?"

Could I tell him the reason why?

Definitely not.

"It's because the owner is chasing Aubrey," Maggie declared in a sing-song voice.

"What?" For some reason, he looks displeased.

It must be shocking to hear that anyone could possibly have the hots for me but it's true. The owner has been too eager to offer me free drinks and has asked me to go dancing with him on more than one occasion.

And creepily of all, spend an evening while the place closed for the night...that only sent alarm bells of danger to go off in my mind and ever since then, I've been avoiding the Ritz Blitz like the plague.

Maggie gives me a reassuring smile once she catches my annoyance. "Oh, don't sulk Aubrey! Chris is such a cutie! I don't know why you refuse to go out with him."

"He is not a cutie, just a player who wants anything female," I bit out grunting.

"He is not! Remember that one time he came to your office..." She trails off as she notices the expression on Edward's face, his frown deepening with every passing remark.

Straightening my back, I clear my throat and send Maggie a stern look of warning.

"I just don't know what he sees in you," Cindy interjected, a sting in her voice. Of course the manager must comment and belittle me - apparently tonight is the night that I have to hear everyone say something about me.

"I can list plenty of reasons why he would."

All three of us halt in place and stare at Edward. My brain malfunctions entirely and has no idea what those words could possibly mean.

Blinking, I turn away as his eyes are drawn to my face. Cindy scoffs with malice while Maggie blushes and nudges me with an elbow.

I remain silent and the three of them come to the decision of taking one car and meeting everyone else there. Cindy persists on taking Edward's car (I wonder why?) and we manage to arrive within fifteen minutes.

Sighing, I pull myself together and run a hand through my silky hair before stepping out of his very expensive sports car and pray I haven't left so much as a speck of dust behind because only God knows what Edward will do for payback.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Maggie squealed with new found delight.

Flipping her hair, Cindy struts her stuff and crosses the street receiving the undivided attention of several lingering males.

"Honestly, she's going to get in trouble one of these days," Maggie whispered into my ear with disgust apparent in her voice.

"Maggie! God forbid that ever happening to anyone," I shrieked, horrified at anything happening to her. I might not like Cindy but that didn't mean her safety had to be jeopardised.

Maggie frowns after admitting her accusation was uncalled for but can't refuse to comment further. "She's practically setting herself up for it dressed like that but it's not even the dress. It's how much she plays on the perception."