Chapter 6

E.B.

"Hey miss, you okay?" 

Turning sharply I see a guy place a hand against her arm. That action alone makes me annoyed regardless of it being done out of concern.

"Don't touch her," I declared coldly, the man places his hands up in surrender but irritation is clearly visible within his eyes. 

"Mister, give me another drink." Slightly groggy and drunk, Aubrey places an empty shot glass before a bemused bar tender. 

"Great, she's already drunk," her brother grumbled. 

The bar stool next to me becomes vacated and I watch in fascination as Nick approaches Aubrey. It sends a pang of pain as I realise that would have been me if Sara were still alive. I would have been the big brother who took her out when she felt down and looked after her.

"Aubrey," Nick said firmly, trying to rouse her.

"Nicky!" Throwing her hands around his neck, a chain of hiccups escape her mouth.

Sighing, Nick sends me an apologetic glance before addressing his sister. "I think it's time I get you home."

"Nooo! I wanna stay," she whined.

"No, we're leaving and I mean now," Nick said more adamantly, patting her back for good measure.

"Okay." Crossing her arms like a child, a pout forms on her lips and I try to look everywhere but at her. 

"Tell me to kill the person who made her wear this," Nick hissed, gesturing towards her dress.

I nod in understanding since throughout the entire night I've kept a subtle eye out for wandering glances and suggestive remarks thrown her way. After three damn hours I made myself clear - Aubrey was and is off limits indefinitely. 

"Can you grab her bag-" Nick's phone blares and I wait for him to answer while Aubrey slips back and forth between drunkenness and unconsciousness. 

"Clement, here," Nick answered brusquely.

Dread suddenly travels across his face as he side glances at Aubrey. Hanging up, he looks at me pleadingly and I simply raise an eyebrow in amusement. 

This should be good.

"I need a huge favour..."

"Such as?" I asked lightly, knowing what it would be.

"Can you take Aubrey home? I'll drop you off to the office parking lot and you can take her back in her car."

"Wait, how did you know-" I began, startled that he had an inkling of what went down earlier tonight.

"I've known for awhile, make a woman out of my sister, Bradford or I'll beat the shit out of you if you make her cry," he said solemnly, in the way only an older brother would.

Grinning, I take Aubrey's figure from him and drag her out the door and into the car. Nick starts up the car and we head back. 

He shakes his head but gives me an approving smile when he catches Aubrey dozing off on my shoulder in the backseat. "Just follow the GPS on the car and it'll take you to her place. Hopefully she doesn't make a fuss or cause a fire again."

"She did what now?" I questioned surprised.

"Apparently she woke up still slightly drunk and felt like making a pot of tea."

"So that's what a drunk Aubrey is like," I mused with humour and slight worry. 

Nick sighs heavily, recalling the memory and can't help the bitterness in his voice. "Yeah, a grown five year old that's intoxicated. She can be a quite a handful."