Chapter 15

A.C.

Gulping involuntarily, My mouth runs dry and it takes all my effort to fix my eyes onto Edward's and avoid trailing my gaze down his body.

"You're cold will become worse if you walk around with wet hair," I said, biting my lip as I take a step back and absently head for the door.

"You invited someone over?"

"Sssshh. Go away and hide in the bedroom till I'm done." Edward raises a brow, crossing his arms and setting his feet firmly onto the floor when he absorbs my earnest look.

"Please?" I asked meekly.

"Who is it?"

"None of your business. Look, if you want to be caught then at least go get dressed!"

A frown graces his lips but he understands the logic behind my wise words. Striding to the bedroom, he shuts the door silently behind him and I let loose a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding.

Opening the apartment door, two familiar figures smile back at me.

"Look who I ran into in the downstairs lobby," Maggie chimed enthusiastically.

"Uh, Aubrey, please tell this strange woman I don't know who she is," Jackson requested, glancing at Maggie from the tail end of one eye.

"Hey! That's rude, and I'm not a stranger. We've met before."

"Right..."

"Why don't the two of you come in," I shade shaking my head, already sensing a bond between them.

Stepping out of the way, I push the door wider and my two guests walk in but not before they fight over who gets dibs to enter first.

Jackson darts his eyes all around, a low whistle escaping his mouth as he nods appreciatively. "Nice place. Not bad Clement, not bad at all."

Smiling wobbly at his reaction, I gesture for them to sit in the living room. "What brings you here anyways?" I asked breathless, doing my best to avoid peeking in the direction of the bedroom.

"Well, I figured since it's your day off and mine too, we should settle the score and have you make me lunch," Jackson said with a faint smile.

"I'd love to, but uh...I don't seem to have all the right ingredients. You said you love tomato fried rice? If I gave you a list of things would you get it from the grocery store a few streets away?" I asked nervously.

I don't even give Jackson time to think as I scribble the ingredients down and nearly shove him out the door almost slamming it in his face.

"Clever but definitely not classy," Maggie commented noncommittal.

"Give me a break, Maggie. I have thirty minutes to get ready and meet mystery man at the coffee shop three blocks away from here," I whispered, releasing a groan.

"Well, what do you want me to do?" she asked curiously, patting my shoulder for reassurance.

"Cook for Jackson and put Edward to bed," I mumbled seriously.

"Wha-"

"Please, Maggie. Help a friend out."

Giving me an exasperated look, she places a hand against her hip. "I'm not saying no. Especially to the second request but are you sure you can fool all three men without them discovering one another?"

"I have to try at least," I squeaked.

"Alright, I'll help you. Where's Edward hiding?"

"Bedroom."