Chapter 33

A.C.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Or better yet, how does he expect me to react to such a candid sentence made up of three simple words?

Deciding to ask the man himself, I turn in my seat and look at him directly in the eyes. "And what is that, supposed to mean?" I asked, baffled.

"Several things, let's just say that she never took up as much room in my head as you do."

Rolling my eyes now, a frown sets on my face. Edward goes from blunt, plainspoken heart melting words to egocentric within microseconds. This shouldn't even come as a surprise but why am I slightly disappointed? And why, despite everything within me that's doing its best to fight back...why do I want my heart to do another cartwheel?

"I hardly find that as an honour or pleasure," I bit out sardonically, picking up a book myself and turning to a page with a bookmark in place.

"What? Are you upset now?" Edward asked, elbowing me.

With the attitude of a seven year-old feeling regally haughty, I flip a page dramatically before responding. "And why shouldn't I be?"

"I just said – " Stopping short, his lips set in a hard line.

"What?"

"Never mind. Forget it. Just go back to your book." Agitated, he shifts his figure entirely away from me, avoiding eye contact.

 Still facing him, I gawk at his display of behaviour. What in the world is his problem now? I should be the one upset! 

"Always a big baby," I mumbled out.

"I can still hear you."

"That's the idea."

"We'll see who'll be crying like a baby once we get back."

Scoffing, I do my best to make sure that Edward feels as if his skin is being grated. "I'm recovering from death already, I'm sick remember? And you're going to intentionally make me cry?"

Glancing over his shoulder, he eyes me narrowly before sulking in his seat further. "Yet, that didn't stop you from inviting Devon, over."

"We just discussed that didn't we? I have to spend the whole weekend with you now," I returned, refusing to meet his eyes.

"That's a given if Devon's deducting the time I spend with my Errand girl."

His reply makes me place my book down to give him a bewildered expression, because just when I think Edward couldn't possibly be any more outrageous, he proves me wrong. "So your solution is to double the time we spend together afterwards? Does that even make any sense?"

"Yes it does."

"How?"

"It makes perfect sense."

"Your addition is incorrect," I snapped.

"I'm great at math."

"What do I care if you're good at it or not? You clearly can't tell time."

Smiling sweetly, his eyes crinkle with mirth. "Should I make reservations for three then?" 

Grunting, I clamp my mouth shut and bury my face into the book in my hands, skimming through a paragraph.

I couldn't even fully understand why Edward's so vexed with the thought of me and Devon spending a day together. The two of us have known each other for such a long time, we were inseparable growing up. Edward has no doubt, seen me practically glued to Devon's side as a kid.