The Gift

Inspired by this quote/poem:

The Gift
"Her eyes were beautifully wrapped; long black lashes of velvet ribbon- and everytime she opened them, it felt like Christmas."
- Michael Faudet

------------------

Fast forward 5 years.

ALDEN's POV

I'm getting worried.

Nasaan ka na ba Meng?

//

This is our first Christmas together, without family and friends, just the two us. Last year we spent it with my family and the year before we spent it with hers. And this year, kaming dalawa lang, and we decided to spend it at my old house in Laguna, since nakalipat na rin naman ng bahay yung family ko 4 years ago. I decided not to sell our old house because of sentimental reasons. I have so much memories here, especially of my Mom, which I can never let go of. So, eventhough this house needs so much renovation dahil lumang luma na, I decided to just let it be. I want to preserve it as much as I can.

Since we both had busy schedules for the last 10 days, we haven't had time for each other. TVCs on top of photoshoots on top of interviews on top of tapings, whoa. Walang tigil. Halos di na nga kami nagkikita. Kaya we decided na magspend nalang kami ng Christmas together.

It's December 24, 9am. I texted Maine and asked her if she wanted me to fetch her from Bulacan.

To Maine
Love, sunduin ba kita? Para sabay na tayo pumunta sa bahay.

After 10 minutes, my phone buzzed.

From Maine
Love, no need. Sunod na lang ako. I'm just waiting for Ate Coleen and her husband. Di ko pa kasi sila nakita since last week. They just arrived from their honeymoon in Greece. Will text you if paalis na ko. Love you. Xx

I quickly texted I love you back and went downstairs to prep the things we need for our little celebration. Since our old house was only 10 mins away, I decided to spend the morning with my family. We had brunch and watched Christmas movies together.

Time flew by and before I new it, it was 1:30pm. I glanced at my phone but there was no text or missed call from Maine. Siguradong busy yun sa family niya. I got up and started getting ready. I took a quick shower, gathered all the stuff we need and put them in the trunk of my car. I said my goodbyes to my family and drove to our old house. Excited ako, sobra.

After 10 minutes, I arrived. I quickly put the stuff I brought in the house, set my car keyes on the kitchen table and sat on the couch. I couldn't help but reminisce. This is my home.

I looked around and saw my childhood. This living room is where my dad used to give me piggy back rides. This dent on the coffee table is where I bumped my head when I was five years old because my mom was chasing me because I didn't want to drink my medicine. This couch is where my mom and I had our serious talks. This part of the staircase is where I used to sit down after being scolded by my mom or dad. This kitchen area is where my mom taught me to cook my favorite dish, which is bopis. This dining area was where we surprised dad for his birthday. This bed is where I cried for 5 straight days in high school after being cheated on by my ex-girlfriend and where I also mourned for 5 months after my mom's passing. These were my mom's favorite sheets and pillows and were also the ones I used whenever I miss her. This laundry area is where my mom first told me to pursue becoming an actor. And this garage is where I parked the first car I bought for my family after 2 years in showbiz.