Chapter 23

“Matilda?” I choke out in a strangled voice. She moves slightly and looks down at me. Her emerald eyes widen then fill with tears. Gripping the rope so it does not choke her she begins to wail and cry.

“’I’ve killed him! He’s dead and so am I!” She sobs, “Atleast I deserved this but not Garrett, not Garrett.” She whimpers.

 Realizing she thinks she’s died and that she’s seeing me in heaven I quickly climb up the gallow to get her down.

 “I’m sorry! I had no choice! I didn’t mean what I said in the dungeon, I had no choice!” She belts out beginning to squirm.

“Quit moving or you actually might die!” I say snapping at her.

 “What?”

“Your not dead.” I tell her raising my sword. She flinches at the sight and hangs her head assuming I’ve come to kill her myself. Hacking off the ropes around her neck we watch as they fall towards the ground.

 “So your not dead?” she whispers.

“No.”

She slowly takes in my white armor, shining shoes, and blinding plate legs, slowly scanning everything till her eyes lock with mine. I try to make myself smile but can’t bring my muscles to do make the expression. She sees the failed gesture and hangs her head in shame.

“I don’t believe your real.” She mutters shimmying down the pole landing softly on the ground." 

“Really? Why?” I ponder hopping down and following her.

“Garrett is dead, and it is my fault, this whole war is my fault! Why!? Why can I never do anything right!?” She screams kicking hard at the air in front of her.

“I need him! I need Garrett! And it’s all my fault he’s not here.” She whimpers kicking the air hard enough this time that she plops towards the ground.

“I am Garrett, Matilda.” I say sitting down on the floor next to her.

“No the Garrett I know, has been in a dungeon for almost a year now. He probably died years ago.” She says with no emotion. The sight awakens my old feelings inside, and I quickly put aside the fact that she said she didn’t love me.

“I am Garret! Look!” I say reaching out and pinching her hand.

 “Ow! Why on earth did you do that?”

 “If I were dead you wouldn’t be able to feel that.”

 “So?”

 “I’m not dead.”

 “But your dressed in white, like you've come from heaven. Your not scarred or bruised.”

 “It’s this sword.” I say reaching behind me and grabbing the talking sword.

 “The Sword of Balthazar.” She whispers starring at it. “You’re the New King.”

 “So it says.” I say putting it back in its sheath. 

She looks at me from beneath her eyelashes and the sight makes me realize how much things have changed. The old Matilda would continue to question me, get in my face, deny it until I did something unexplainable!

"Garrett I-" she chokes.

Behind you! 

As if on instinct I quickly turn round holding my sword to block and enemies attack. The man bares his teeth pushing his sword hard against mine. Kicking his feet out from underneath him I take a quick slash at his legs and arms putting him down for the minute.