Chapter 19

Still in Matilda's P.O.V.

I don’t get very far when I hear the sound of footsteps following me. Not feeling like turning around I keep walking till the person catches up. 

“You okay?” Garrett asks falling into step with me. I shrug not sure how I’m feeling.

“Common, you can’t just go through something like that and not feel anything.” He sighs stopping me and turning me around to face him.

“Are.You.Okay?” He inquires shaking me slightly.

“I can understand you!”

“Arrrreeee. Yoooouuuu. Okaaaayyyy?” He repeats shaking me so hard my head bobbles back and forth.

“Yeh-y-hus!” I reply giggling once he's done.

“Good.” He decides, grabbing my hand and pulling me to lay down in the grass with him. We watch the stars in silence for a while, and I realize I actually am okay. I don’t feel the urge to cry, father finally knows where I am, and I no longer need to disguise myself. Just thinking about that makes me fidget with anticipation.

“Something have you excited?” He says turning his head to face my direction

“Just happy.” I reply now fixated in finding the big dipper. 

“Is that so?” He murmurs in my ear pulling me closer.  

“Hey, now how am I supposed to find the big dipper?” I whine smacking his chest.

“Here.” He offers using the hand I hit him with to point at the stars. But I'm no longer interested in the stars and I involuntarily tune out of his chatter, I look around the area we're laying in. Still bored I turn to look at him, and notice a tiny little scar that runs through both his lips.

“How’d you get that?” I asks involuntarily fingering the scar with my fore finger. 

“Long story.”

“I have time.”

“Mmm I’d rather not tell.” He says turning so that our foreheads are now touching.

“Awww common what’d my bad boy do that’s soooo baaadd.”

Your bad boy…” he mumbles leaning towards me locking our lips together. It starts sweet and cautious as if asking me if this is okay. And once my consent is made it soon turns into a more desperate kiss, as if he needs to kiss me, needs to feel me near him, has to touch me. We both pull away gasping and grinning like mad.

“You still never told me about the scar.” I remind him snuggling in closer and poking his chest.

“And here I was thinking you’d forgotten all about that.” He chuckles leaning back in. And that’s how we fall asleep, wrapped in one another’s arms covered by the starry blanket gleaming above us.

Garrett's P.O.V.

 “Oooohhh looks like Garebear and Matticake had a busy night.” are the first words I wake up to.

“Shut up James.” I mumble without even glancing to see who it is. I hate waking up early. If I could I’d sleep till seven, eat, then go back to bed and life would be perfect.

“Oh common! I suggest you wake up before Matti’s Dad comes out here and skins your hide.” He says complaining and kicking dirt at my side. Groaning I roll over to land on something…soft.

“oowwww.” The something that sounds a lot like Matilda mumbles beneath me. My eyes snap open, and to my surprise it is Matilda!

“Mornin’ sunshine.” I say kissing her forehead.