Chapter 13

Garrett's P.O.V

 Walking up to the stand I clear my throat getting the sellers attention.

“Sir, I found this laying in the street and I’m guessing it’s yours?” I ask putting a very convincing, innocent face on.

“Oh good sir, that is mine! It’s quite the expensive gem that is, I was planning on selling it to the king, but since you were so kind as to return it to me instead of stealing it I’ll give it to you for free.” The merchant says most enthusiastically.

“My good man, there’s no need! Keep it, it is after all yours.”

“No! Surely those pretty young girls behind you must want it.” He insists addressing Matilda and Olivia.

“No I insist keep this beautiful treasure, I’m sure the king will buy it off your hands for tons of money.” I say placing the necklace in his hands and curling his fingers over it.

“Oh my I must make this known.” Grabbing my wrist and lifting it high in the air he announces “This young man here found my beautiful necklace in the street, he showed and immense act of unselfishness and returned it to me! And just by looking at him you can tell he needs the money! And when I told him he could keep it, he insisted on not taking it! Since he’s so noble as not to take it bestow your trust upon him! When he comes by make sure he’s had his fill of food, and rest, treat him as you would your children!”

The crowd cheers yelling praises on me. I go along with the act by blushing and gushing my thanks and gratitude.  When we are a long ways away from the sellers I turn around to look at their faces. Matilda has her arms crossed and is glaring like mad at me. Paul seems indifferent and just shrugs when our eyes meet. James seems completely transfixed by what he's seen, and Olivia looks as if she's trying to figure out whether or not to trust me.

“And that my friends is how professional stealing is done.” I say bowing deeply right in front of Matilda just to tick her off. She grabs my head and shoves it back with all her might. Chuckling I stumble back unto my butt.

“ITS NOT FUNNY! You’re stealing from people who actually work to make a living!”

“Ehhh what can I say it’s a way of life, survival of the fittest. You make the money I take it, even if I wasn’t the one to do it, eventually someone else will.”

“ugh! No you dimwit, those people work hard and live an honest life just to get those things!”

“Pft please, you can’t live an honest life and become wealthy. If you’re rich you became that way at the expense of others.” I retort getting a little ticked off at her over reaction.

“Just cause your dirt poor and to lazy to do anything useful, doesn’t mean you can go around cursing those who worked hard for the benefits in life! Gosh! I hate idiots like you! You just judge! Not all rich people are awful! Some have actually had difficult and harsh lives!”

I turn around and stop walking making her walk into me.

“And people living in poverty don’t have difficult and harsh lives either?” I threateningly question glaring down at her.

 “Their lives are not nearly as difficult as wealthy people I can promise you that.” She counters glaring up at me.

“Humph. Later guys.” I say dismissing them. All of them have no idea what its like to work as hard as possible but to never accumulate any money, just cause your not educated enough, or not qualifieded for a job.

“Garrett seriously?” James calls from behind me. Without answering I start on my way back to the castle.

                                                             . . . . . . . . . . . . ..  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My anger died down two minutes after the argument. No matter how much I try, I just can’t stay mad for long. Trudging up the cobbled stone walkway to the kitchen I plop myself into a stool near Mardy.

“What is it boy?” she asks still trying to act tough, but I know she loves me like a son but just isn’t going to show it.

 “Hmmm?” I reply slumping in the stool and resting my head in my hands.

“That girl you like,huh?” she says giving me a sympathetic look. Immediately whispering in the kitchen begins. It so happens the kitchen girls have taken a liking to the stories I tell them about Matilda. They like to give advice, some good, others not so good, but either way they’re still trying to help.

“Why don’t you just ditch the girl!” Lila a sharp-mouthed child blurts.

“First off I never said I liked the girl.” I announce looking up from my hands.

“It’s obvious you LIKE her. You’re just to stubborn to realize it.” Meredith the wise one comments.

“Please, if I liked her, wouldn’t I be much nicer to her than I am now. Plus what’s there to like she’s stubborn, ungrateful, judgmental, anno-”

“Maybe you enjoy the challenge of getting her?” Gretchen asks drying a pot.

“I. Don’t. Like. Her.”

“Don’t like who?” Matilda inquires stumbling in looking flushed and out of breath.

“This girl he argues a lot with. Apparently she’s gorgeous and he feels out of her league.” exclaimes Yolanda, a girl who speaks the truth even when it hurts.

“Pft, as if! And this conversation is over!” I announce turning a few shades redder.

Matilda raises a curious eyebrow. “I want to know! This girl would have to be an idiot to ever return the feelings.” She says.

“What’s not to like?” I counter daring her to come up with a reason.

“For one she’d have to live with the poor likes of you, put up with your arrogance, and look at your hideous face all day.”

“My face is pretty darn handsome if I must say so myself.” I add wagging my eyebrows. The rest of the kitchen nodds in agreement.

“Ugh, your making me not want to apologize.” She mumbles to herself.

“Why would you need to apologize?” Mardy inquires.

“I guess for always starting an argument with him. I really don’t know. If anyone should be apologizing it should be him.” Matilda mindlessly replies biting a nail. And with that the whole kitchen stops what they're doing to get a good look at her.

“That’s the girl.” Someone whispers.

And all at once everyone starts speaking. The kitchen is in a fit of commotion. People are trying to tell her I like her, others jealous I do like her, some actually trying to get back to cooking.

“Common.” I say grabbing her arm and leading her outside.

“I liked those girls! They were funny!” she laughs.

“Yeah, Yeah, thanks for apologizing you can leave now.” I say a bit embarrassed by their behavior.

“Well I didn’t come just to apologize.” She says and begins telling me the information she found on the sword. I had forgotten all about that! She has a pretty good lead; I mean we just have to search for a place that is heavily guarded right?

“I’ve already told Paul and Jane and the information kind of slipped to Olivia, so tomorrow were heading out to try and find this place.” She finishes.

“Okay then I’ll be there.” I finish turning on my heal and trying to sprint back into the kitchen.

“Wait! You’re not still mad at me are you?”

“Course not. What makes you think that?”

“Well you just seem in a rush to get away from me, so normally that means you don’t really enjoy that persons presence.”

“Oh that’s not it, you just don’t want to stick around to hear the crazy things that come out of these kitchen girls mouths.” And right on cue, five girls run out trying to talk to Matilda.

“HE LIKES YOU!!!!!!!” They yell in unison. As fast as possible I pick all of them up and slowly begin dragging them back into the kitchen.

“Ha. Ha. See crazy things!” I yell struggling to control them