Chapter 18

This chapter is dedicated to AphroditeKid because she is such an amazing fan! I know I've already said this but Thank you so so so so so so so so so much Aphro! if it weren't for you I probably would have deleted this story and given up on wattpad! Thanks more than you can ever know! - TheOwlAndTheWorm

What the? I think to myself looking round at my surroundings. This isn’t where I normally fall asleep. Looking around I realize I’m on the floor of Garrett’s room, I guess I fell out of bed. Standing up and dusting my dress off, I glance over at Garrett who is sprawled all over his bed. I’m pretty sure he went to bed sleeping right side up, but now he’s upside down with an arm hanging over the bed, and a leg spilling out of the covers. I grab a pillow and throw it at his head.

“You kicked me off the bed.” I say while he groggily comes to.

“What? Oh yea I told you you’d regret it, if I didn’t sleep with my arm around you.” He says winking and running a hand through his hair, which is sticking up in all different directions.

Rolling my eyes I walk over to the window and look out to see it's about eight in the morning.

“Come on breakfast is probably about to start.” I warn, tying my hair into a bun on top of my head.

“Catch you later, I’m still tired.” He says yawning and laying back down on the bed, instantly falling asleep.

. . . . . . ..  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Walking into the castle it seems much busier than normal. As if someone extremely important were showing up today. It's a little nerve racking watching everyone. Walking to the nearest guard I ask what is going on.

“The King. The king of all the lands is arriving today.” He answers looking a little annoyed.

“Huh…” I reply to stunned to utter more than a syllable. My body seems paralyzed; I just stand staring at the guard wondering how I had miss counted the weeks. Father. Father was coming today! Grabbing my skirts I sprint to the girls quarters and franticly try to disguise myself. I'm nearing hysteric by now.

Then I spot scissors.

My hair is fairly long and one of my most recognizable traits. It's straight, thick, and goes to my elbows. Any one that sees it immediately wishes it were theirs; in its red state it can pick up the tiniest glint of light and make my hair look unfathomable. It's probably the only thing my father is still proud of that has anything to do with me.

I cut it anyway.

Watching the pieces fall to the floor I'm surprised to find I don’t feel anything. I’ve seen girls cry over a haircut plenty of times, but to me it feels almost good. Looking in the mirror I move my head about, swishing my hair that now goes to the bottom of my neck. Running charcoal through it I completely cover the red with a deep brown. Staring harder at the mirror I realized I can’t even recognize the girl staring back at me.

There’s no way father ever will.

Hearing footsteps behind me I turn around to see Mildred, Lisa’s minion looking disgustedly in my direction.

“And who are you?”

Huh? Am I really that unrecognizable?

“Uhhh my name is Lucinda, but you may call me Lucy if you like.” I reply in the sweetest voice possible.

“Well Lucy, she says spitting my name, I don’t appreciate filthy peasants coveting my objects. I suggest you head back to where ever you came from, before I call a guard to throw you out.”