matti's memory locket

Jane and I walk down the dark corridor and outside into the bright lights. There's a common looking carriage with wooden wheels and maroon drapes around the windows. The Carriage itself is made of bronze and is imbelished in simple embroidery.

“It’s beautiful.” Jane whispers in awe tracing her finger along the decorations.

“I bet the inside looks tons better.” I interrupt pulling Jane in the carriage. Being the princess this carriage is probably as plane as they come, but Jane doesn’t know that so I have no intention of spoiling her fun.

            The inside is the same maroon as the drapes on the windows and it's covered in plush pillows and seats. In the middle there's a chest with a note on it.

Jane reads the note aloud, “Change into these garments to fit in with the rest of them at the castle. And for you princess, make sure you color your hair brown with these pieces of charcol.”

“Princess? I wonder whom he’s addressing like that?” she ponders opening the chest.  The latches pop open and reveal an elaborate set of gowns. Gasping she picks up the first dress. It's a violet day gown with a white sash that goes just below the bust. The dress is short-sleeved with puffed up sleeves and a white bottom trim. The rest of the dress just drops to the ground. It looks easy to move around in, but yet highly stylish.

“Ohhhh can I wear this one!” Jane squeals hugging the dress to her chest.

“Sure.” I reply mindlessly pulling out a dress that has the same style as Jane’s, but is red and black instead.  Slipping the dress on I notice there are places to hide daggers and weapons of the sort. I tell Jane this and we suit up in what I would call our girly armor.

 “Eeee! I feel so wealthy!” Jane gushes clapping her hands.

 Grumbling I grab the charcoal and color my hair and eyebrows brown. It'll look decent for now, but the charcoal will definitely fade out of my hair by tonight giving me only a few hours to be in the public.

 “Alright Jane listen here. People in the castle are not at all what you will expect. They are mean, vicious, nasty, snooty, rude, stuck-up, well mannered piles of cow dung.” I say painting her lips and applying some blush to her cheeks.

 “Yeah right! People in the castle are kind, gentle, impartial, intelligent,gorgeous human beings!” She corrects squealing with excitement again.

 “No Jane they are not, trust me.” I reply applying my blush and lipstick.

 “You act like you know everything.”

“Well just trust me on the castle bit.”

“No. You are rude, mean, and you act so un-lady like! You’re not even excited to be going to the castle! I mean this castle is second best to the one in the mainland! You should be grateful. I bet I’ll meet a prince there, and maybe we’ll get married and –.”

 “Eww gross no!” I blurt disgusted at the thought of one of my cousins marrying her.

 “And why is that?! Do you think it’s so hard for someone to like me? Do you think I’m hideous or something? Oh I ought to hurt you for that outburst! It’s possible you know! I’m sure it is, I’d just have to-”

 “No Jane that’s not it! None of those reasons are it! I’m a princess all right! I know what it’s like in castles, the princes your expecting to marry are my cousins, and I just don’t like imagining my cousins married alright!” I scream annoyed to death by her.

           She stares at me her mouth hanging in an O shape. Clearing her throat she whispers an Oh to herself, at the exact same moment the carriage comes to a stop. I kick open the door and step onto the cobble stone ground.