Prologue

--- prologue ---

I was freezing, my body was shaking tremendously and I couldn't take it much longer. My legs became like jelly and I fell onto the soaking wet grass. My clothes, stuck to my skin, and my fingers, numb.

Nobody could help me out here, I was all alone. There wasn't a house or any other sign of socialization in sight. Not even the trees could provide shelter from the downpour of rain that sent pins and needles through my skin. All I could do was keep pushing. Willing myself to make it out of this alive.

I used all my strength to try standing up, ignoring the aches in my bones. I had to get out of here.

Pushing myself up on wobbly arms, I managed to get to my feet. But the world began to sin around me. I tried my best to walk ahead but could only manage a few steps before I crashed back into the rain soaked earth below.

I could numbly feel the scrapes on my palms and knees throb. But it was nothing compared to the panic that set in as my vision blurred.

I clutched the grass between my fingers as best as I could. Trying to get a grasp on my surroundings and gain back my strength. I didn't want to die here, I didn't want it to end this way.

My eyes were too heavy to keep open, as hard as I tried. I couldn't fight the weight anymore. It was like gravity was forcing my eyelids down. A voice spoke to me from the back of my head 'Just give in Avery'. But I didn't want to listen. I couldn't listen. What if I never woke up again?
I had to keep fighting.

I struggled for hours, trying to keep awareness of all of my limbs.  But the struggle was futile. My fingers stopped their pathetic attempts to stay wiggling, and my tongue swished sloppily in my mouth. I could no longer pry my eyes open. Or if I could, I was no longer aware of what was in front of me.

An unwelcome sleep grasped me tight between its slimy cold hands, and slowly dragged me away with it. The darkness was the last thing I saw.