Chapter 4

I awoke the next morning laying on my patio in the dark infront of my house. My head was throbbing as I tried to remember what happened the night before but could only remember killing the white bat. I rubbed my head in an attempt to the stop the pain, but the pain remained as I decided to head inside to get out of the cold, but as I walked to the door, I tripped falling over a bag lying in my way..

          "FUCK" I said as I hit the ground, I looked to see what tripped me and saw my baseball bag. A thought shot through me as I remembered that I had left it on top of those crates in the warehouse. I picked it up noticing it weighed more then normal. I walked to the door and unlocked it. As the door opened I activated my ability, allowing me to enter without being noticed. I went for the stairs and begun heading up the stairs, keeping my ability active to not wake mom; But fail as she calls me downstairs to the kitchen.

        I walk in to see mom has already started making breakfast.

"Where were you?" She says to me.

"I had a job." I replied

She looked angrily at me as she told me "Didn't I tell you to stop with this."

"But mom I'm doing this for you."

"No its too dangerous, do you want to end up like your father?"

"No, but I want to help you like dad did."

"Don't worry about me if you die what purpose would I have in living."

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME...." *COUGH COUGH*

      Mom began coughing as the lung cancer began acting up.

"Mom are you ok?"

"Yea I'm ok just a little coughing fit don't worry."

"Now go get ready for school."

    I left the kitchen and went up to my room and started getting my stuff ready for school. I checked my backpack, once finished I got my stuff for baseball practice, grabbing my baseball bag. As I picked the bag up I noticed on the side a note saying "Thank you, for the good work yesterday take this as payment."  I unzipped the bag to find that it was full of money.

     I ran down stairs with the bag to show moma, as I got to the kitchen, I poured the money on the floor. A smile formed on mom's face as the money piled up.

"Where did you get this money from?" Mom asked

I showed her the note when she finished reading, she asked "What kind of job was it?"

"All I had to do was remove these bats from a warehouse."

"Was that all?"

"Yea, do you think its enough for your operation?"

"I don't know, you should go up and get ready for school."

"Ok." I said as I made my way upstairs

        Gathering my stuff I got in the shower. As I washed, I noticed my skin had already healed the bites and scratch marks recievced from the bats, except for these two small wounds on my arm I recieved from the white bat. I dried myself then got ready brushing my teeth, putting deodroent on, then my clothes. I opened the door ready for school, but as I did a smell flew into the bathroom, one of bacon and eggs.

"MMMM breakfast" I said to myself

      I began to make my way down stairs but as I did the stairs began to swirl and my head started pounding. I held on to the banister preventing me from falling until the swirling stopped, when it stopped I continued walking down the stairs and into the kitchen. The smell of food filled my nose as mom made me a plate, I walked over as she passed me the plate.

"Thank you." As I went to the table mom sat across from me as I began to eat.

"I counted the money." She told me

"How much was it?" I asked

Mom looked at me and began to say the number "$5000."

I grinned as I asked "Is it enough for the surgery?"

Mom looked at me with a smile and said "Yes."

I wanted it to be true but I could feel she wasn't telling the truth... As I thought this, my thoughts were cut off as the swirling and headache  returned I did my best to look normal so moma wouldn't worry until the pain faded but she still noticed.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes mom its nothing."

I looked at my watch seeing it was almost time to leave for school. I picked my plate up and walked over to the sink placing it in.

Aren't you going to finish your food?"

I rushed out the kitchen yelling "The bus is almost here."

    I ran up the stairs and into my room seeing the pile of money stacked neatly on my bed I grabbed my backpack and bag for practice I unzipped it to see mom had already packed my equipment. I grabbed both my bags to leave but my eyes got caught up looking at the money with the note on top.

"This sure is alot of money for just one job, but then its great I can help mom." I said out loud.

     A cold feeling knocked me out of daydreaming as I noticed my room window was open. I walked over and closed it. As I turned from the window I watched as the note slowly drifted down from my bed to the floor. I went over and picked it up, reading it once more before putting it in my pocket. I  looked down at my watch again, seeing how much time I have left only too see I should of left two minutes ago.

"DANG IT." I grabbed my bags and ran down stairs

"BYE MOM." I yelled as I got to the door 

     I grabbed the knob, but as I did I remembered I had forgotten something I ran back upstairs to the bathroom and began looking through the medicine cabinet I grabbed a bottle and rushed down stairs and out the door. I made my way to the bus stop, seeing the bus hadn't come yet and kids still waiting for it. Using my gift, I went unnoticed in the crowd as I waited for the bus to arrive.