Chapter 6: Denial, it's the first sign

Chapter 6

“All you have to do is ask what he wants done to his room! Paint, rug, comforter, plants, tables, wood!” My mother said, throwing her hands up in frustration.

“Can you write it down?” I asked, staring at the table. I heard a pen tearing its way across a piece of paper.

“Here, take it.” She said, handing me the paper. I nodded, taking it and examining it.

“Please, be polite.” My mother said, rubbing her temples. I rolled my eyes.

“Of course. I love you, see you at 9?” I asked, looking at the floor.

“Yes. I’ll be home around then. Order a pizza. Love you, too.” My mother said, placing money on the kitchen island. I nodded as she stepped outside of our home. I had my keys in my hand and was dressed semiprofessional, similar as yesterday. We got into our separate cars, and I drove off.

___

“Hey Maverly!” Oliver said as I entered the large house.

“Hey, Mr. Oliver.” I said, grinning.

“Just go upstairs and take a right, 5th room on your left.” He said, smiling. I nodded, following his instructions. I knocked lightly on the door. I heard a loud video game from the inside, shooting. He must’ve been playing Call of Duty, or Halo, maybe. I knocked again, a little louder this time. I heard a game pause due to the silence and I took this to my advantage, knocking the loudest my little knuckles could manage.

“It’s open.” The somewhat muffled voice said. I slowly creaked open the door, slipping inside. I looked to the far right corner, seeing my interviewee sitting on a black couch, in front of a T.V with an Xbox 360 and a PS3 surrounding him, along with a Wii and other video game systems.

“Yes mom?” He suddenly asked, sounding very familiar. 

"I didn’t sign up for that job.” I joked. Professional!

“Who are you?” He asked again.

“Not your Mom.” I stated. The game paused and he turned around, trying to find me in his large room. I stood there awkwardly.

“Are you the designer lady?” He asked, as I stared at his carpet.

“Yeah.” I muttered.

“You gonna interview me or my carpet?” He asked, amused. Still not looking at him, I slowly walked over to the direction of the couch.

“You can sit down you know.” He said, amused. That voice! I recognized his voice. My head darted up.

“Cy…rus?” I asked, unsure. He turned his head towards me.

“Maverly, are you stalking me?” He asked, crossing his arms.

“What? No!” I replied quickly.

“Where is the interior designer lady? Did you tie her up and stuff her in a closet?” He asked, glancing around his room.

“I’m right here. Well, I’m not an interior designer lady- but I’m her daughter. She couldn’t make it today, so I have to interview you.” I said, awkwardly.

“Okay then.” He said, motioning for me to sit. So I did. Not because he said so or anything, because I simply wanted to. He gave me a suspicious look. I rolled my eyes.

“What colors do you like?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. He glanced around his room, with a stupid look on his face.

“Are you seriously asking me that question?” He asked as my eyes traveled around his room. Blue and black, blue and black.