Chapter 5: Like great, great grandfather like great, great grand-daughter!

Chapter 5

“GET UP!” My mother’s voice boomed up the stairs, echoing off the high ceilings. I hated the high ceilings; all they did was make me feel as If I’d gone bonkers when I woke up. It’d take me a minute to locate them and when I did, I had a crick in my neck from searching for the corner of the room.

“5 more minutes.” I groaned, turning my head towards the warmth of the pillow my head was resting on.

“It’s 12 o’clock. I still have to give you instructions and you have to get ready and eat, and then it’s a 30 minute drive. I’d advise you to get up or I’ll get the cold water.” My mother said, growling.

I darted up, taking her threat seriously. She’s done it before. Twice actually, once when I was in middle school and she didn’t know I was up the whole night crying and she woke me up by doing that and then a few weeks ago when I refused to get up. I ran to the bathroom, taking my warm shower, lathering my hair with vanilla shampoo, conditioner and matching soap.

I looked at my closet in pure curiosity. I yanked up my towel, wriggling a bit at the dampness of it. What to wear? I’ll push my mother’s suggestion away for now. I grabbed my pitch black skinny jeans and a dark blue dress shirt, and a black blazer atop of it. I know, disobeying my mother- but it still was better than a -shudder- skirt. In 2nd grade, I wore a skirt, a pretty skirt if you ask me. I was jumping around at recess like the hyper active child I was when suddenly Ben Miller ran up behind me and lifted it up, revealing my ‘Hello Kitty’ underwear that I begged my mother to buy. I wish I just went with pants that day.

I placed my damp hair into a sloppy but neat bun, grabbing my mascara and applying it thoroughly to each of my eyes. I placed a scarf around my neck, more for weather purposes but it went well with the style. I slipped into dark blue heels, and added gray hoop earrings into my ears. I grabbed my iPhone and faux scale purse. I hated how they hurt animals and created products with their remains. It’s gross if you ask me, wearing a dead animal.

I slipped into the living room, where my mother was on the phone. She turned towards me when she hung up and smiled brightly.

“You… didn’t follow my rules.” She said, glancing at my outfit. I bit my lip nervously as she examined my outfit.

“I guess…You look fine, c’mon.” She said, slamming me onto the couch. She handed me a clip board with at least 20 pieces of typed paper. I gave her a somewhat shocked look? What is she going to be asking her? Is this going to be like 20,000 questions?

“That’s 20 surveys for what they want each room to look like.” She spoke, catching me off guard.

“20 rooms?!” I asked, shocked. She nodded. Were these people rich? No, you dimwit. No need to be mean.

“They only want to do 20; the other ones aren’t used as much.” She said, shrugging. I looked at my mother as if she was crazy. My house had 19 rooms, bathrooms and the main rooms included.

“But yes, when I ask a question, you answer it with her exact words- unless she starts blabbering, then you write mainly what she says. For example- if she says ‘But yes, my daughters favorite color is pink. She had a pink bicycle once in which she fell off of and needed 23 stitches.’ What would you take out of that sentence?” My mother asked.

“That her daughter likes pink.” I said it like it was a question rather than a sentence. She didn’t seem to care, though. At least I got one right. My mother nodded, smiling.

“What about this one? ‘Jacob likes red and green, but he doesn’t like neon. He had neon braces before and they called him laser teeth. He also has a brown bunk bed that he loves, so we aren’t getting rid of that.’” My mother spoke.