Chapter 1: Let the Pushing Commence

Chapter 1

“I hate you,” Christy muttered as she walked beside me in the crowded hallway; people were trying to get to the parking lot as we were trying to pass the Student Council Meeting Room for Christy and the library for me- which so happened to be in the opposite direction of the crowd.

“Hey! You scored a date with him, you should be thanking me," I said, crossing my arms.

“But you pushed me into him" she said, rubbing her bruised arm.

“Take it like a man," I retorted, nudging her lightly. Just then, my best friend Riley put his head on my shoulder.

“Take what like a man?” he asked, grinning.

“About how we pushed Christy into Warner,” I informed him, shrugging casually.

“You mean how you pushed her into him- I did nothing of the sort. And you’re still complaining?” he inquired, turning to Christy who smiled sheepishly as she turned the corner with the two of her best friends on her heels.

“I guess I’ll see you later?” I waved as Christy literally ran down the hallway, ducking between people. She’ll have to face my accusations and wild questioning tomorrow.

"What is her problem?” Riley asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I may have… kind of… told her that if she complained that I’d do it again," I explained, glancing at Warner who was walking by as we spoke.

Riley looked at Warner and sighed. “Oh, my duckling. My violent, violent duckling,” he exhaled. We continued walking in silence.

I felt my shoulder jerk backwards causing me to stumble slightly. Riley’s eyes were wide as he looked at my offender. Who else but Miranda Carron? I glared at her as I took a quick step forward.

“Maverly," she spat my name with enough venom to kill the entire student body. She does this thing where she thinks that she is intimidating, when in reality- she’s just about as scary as a butterfly.

“Marissa,” I greeted, purposely calling her by the wrong name.

“It’s Miranda," she snapped, her bottom jaw jutting forward slightly- fixing her overbite.

“Same thing," I shrugged, carelessly.

“How’s Dean?” she asked as she began smirking at her walking Barbie’s who giggled. She brought up my ex, who turned out to be cheating on me. That struck a nerve, but I wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.

“Who cares? Unless… you do. You’ve always been one for sloppy seconds- haven’t you, Miranda?” I mocked. “Oh wait, he hasn’t even stuck around you long enough for it to qualify as sloppy seconds.” I remarked, earning a cheer of ‘oohs’ from the gathering crowd. The student body seems to take interest whenever they see me and Miranda about to cross paths; they know a battle is about to begin.

“Just because you can run your mouth doesn’t mean that you can back yourself up," she said, moving her neck in inhumanely ways. What I’d give to just reach out and punch her in the throat.

“Just because you sleep with guys doesn’t mean that they love you,” I replied, clearly offending her. Her face cringed as the crowd began to whisper. Many rumors spread that she's one to drop the ‘l bomb’ after doing the do with a guy and none of them were stupid enough to fall for it.

“Love requires risks that you obviously aren’t willing enough to take," she tried to defend.

“Relationships require the guy to stick around until the morning," I retorted. She exhaled loudly from her nose and stomped off as whispers erupted. The hallways went into motion again, bustling once more. Riley stood beside me, shaking his head.