Chapter 8: It's official, I hate parties

Chapter 8

“Stay here, I’m going to get us something to drink. And please don't go near anyone; the majority of these people are all drunken creeps.” Cyrus ordered as I nodded my head, swaying to the music.

His eyes raked over my dancing body before he smiled. I rolled my eyes at his discreet staring. I saw him escape through the crowd; no one made room for him like they would at school and for some reason that made him all the more… real.

“Hey, there.” A deep voice said from beside me. I glanced over to see a guy standing there, smiling. He was blond and had dark green eyes, a muscular build and chiseled cheekbones.

“Hey.” I replied, grinning. Cyrus never said not to talk to anyone.

“I’m Noah. What’s your name?” He asked me, keeping his eyes on my face.

“I’m Maverly.” I responded, trying to talk louder than the music. It was easy for him to do.

“What’s up?” He asked, smiling, still keeping his eyes on mine. I respected that.

“Nothing, I’m just waiting for my friend to return with drinks, and yourself?” I asked, nodding towards him.

“Nothing, I just want to dance.” He said, nodding. I nodded stupidly.

“So… do you want to dance?” He asked me catching me off guard.

“S-sure!” I said, shocked. He grabbed my hand, it didn't give me sparks, but it was enough to make me grin. He placed his hands on my hips and I placed mine on his shoulders, swaying along with him. The song ‘Best Song Ever’ by The Ready Set boomed through the stereos as we swayed together.

__

Cyrus’s Point of View

I returned to the spot where I left Maverly. I was slightly worried that a guy came and picked her up to get her to an empty bedroom, but then I remember that it’s Maverly- the most stubborn girl ever. You expected me to say because she’s ugly right? Well, she’s not.

What a plot twist; the big mean guy actually calling a girl gorgeous- not that I said that or anything but it’s the truth. She’s stubborn, though and probably would kick a guy in the junk before walking to a bed with him. But some of the guys here have charm that it takes years to attain, and no one can resist. Not that I’m gay- it’s just, you get the idea.

I stopped in my tracks, glancing around nervously. Where is she? She isn’t here, did she wander off? Is she with a guy? That thought sent my muscles into a tense state, I have no idea why.

I looked around until I spotted her familiar hair, curled and brown, but beaut- pretend that didn’t happen. I don’t need another embarrassing moment where I announce her beauty again. I’d already had one too many. You’ll forget about that right? Right.

I looked around her and saw the back of an unfamiliar guy with his hands on her waist. My muscles tensed further. I felt a liquid in my hand and a cracking sound- I broke one of the glasses. I dropped it onto the floor, wiping the soda that happened to be on my hand, on a napkin that I used to carry the sweating cups.

I began ripping through the crowd as I saw his face. I knew who he was and what he does and Maverly isn’t going to be another pawn in his game.

__

Maverly’s Point of View

I laughed as he told a joke and he laughed with me. His smile was magnificent. I found him cute… but friend cute, and maybe a few dates cute- but not boyfriend material. He seemed too… clingy.