Chapter 16: The Detention Teacher's Nephew's Proposition

Chapter 16

I sat at the lunch table, alone. Christy had a meeting today and Riley was absent. Why didn’t I make more friends? Oh that’s right, you’re antisocial and violent! I sighed as I slumped further into my seat.

Why hadn’t I joined student council? Or at least something so I wouldn’t have to sit here and look like a loner. I don’t understand how people can do this daily.

I felt eyes on me as I finished off my pasta.  I couldn’t help but look at Cyrus; he was also alone at his table. He looked like he didn’t care though, he never cared. He just sat back and texted.

I smiled widely as this period ended, taking me away from my suffering lunch.

Cyrus’s Point of View

I felt her eyes on me as she glanced up from her pasta. I was scrolling through our old messages. Don’t call me creepy for keeping them; sometimes you just need something to smile about whether it’s a funny video or texts from over a week ago. I was teasing her about how she had her hair that day, even though it was beautiful.

I needed to go shopping later, right after school, unfortunately. It was all a part of my plan, which was piecing together nicely, if I do say so myself.

Maverly’s Point of View

I met up with Christy at our lockers and we slowly walked to our next class. I knew she was going to ask me questions because she was walking slowly. Christy was a speed walker and was never late for class. She slowly turned to me.

“So…” She stated, pressing her lips together slightly.

“So?” I repeated, raising an eyebrow.

“How are you?” She asked me.

“I’m great.” I lied. Cyrus didn’t care about me enough to continue trying. But why should I want him to try even though I told him to stop?

Oh I don’t know, maybe it’s because you want him to like you.

Maybe you should shut up, stupid voice. What did he even do wrong? I always asked myself this, but I realized that what he did hurt me so much because, as much as I hate to admit it, I’ve discovered my little crush on him. I’m just confused.

“Are we still on for the dance?” She asked and I smiled tightly.

“Sure, why wouldn’t I miss watching you and Warner dance together while Riley and Leila make out in a corner? It’ll be the time of my life, that’s for sure.” I retorted sarcastically. I was going to go, my mother was forcing me, date or not.

“We’ll dance together, and I bet some guys will ask you to dance. Plus, Riley and Leila aren’t going to be making out. There will be staff members, y’know?” She said, reassuringly.

“But it’d be better if I had someone to save a date for, y’know?” I said, frowning.

“You’ve never been one for romance!” She said, grinning widely. I scowled.

“I’m still not.” I said, shoving her off of my shoulder.

“Oh, c’mon, I’m only teasing you. Who wazzed in your cereal?” She said. I never understood why Christy said ‘wazz’ instead of ‘pee.’

“It’s nothing.” I shrugged.

“I think it’s something.” She said, poking my side. I jumped slightly. So what? I was slightly ticklish?