Chapter 3: Trapped in a Bathroom

Chapter 3

Friday came quick, with no interferences with Cyrus except when I made him promise that he wouldn’t kill me or harm me in anyway and then some deadly smirks from him that made me shiver in my shoes. It wasn’t the wind either.

I arrived home, slamming the door loudly to alert my mother of my presence. I walked to the kitchen to see her sitting there, smiling with a plate on the table. She instructed me to sit. Oh no.

This was it. She does this every single year, makes me sweets- usually my favorite chocolate chip cookies, sits in the kitchen, it’s like an intervention!

She always tells me that I and I quote, ‘need to stop wearing the same pair of shoes for 2 years straight!’ Is it really a problem? I don’t have a problem and she shouldn’t either! They aren’t in bad condition and she should be happy I’m not like the girls in my class who go shopping every other day! Unfortunately for my too common fashion mishaps, she forces me to go shopping with her, and it’s the worst thing ever.

“Honey, I know you don’t always enjoy it but you have to come with me. I even have a surprise for you there. And you need some new clothes and so do I.” My mother said, looking at my shoes which were in perfect condition- aside from the grayed laces.

“C’mon, Mom, I didn’t like it last year, I won’t like it this year and I won’t like it the years to come.” I said, sighing.

"Well; all of this can be avoided if you buy more shoes when you go shopping in the beginning of the school year with Christy! Besides, I’m not taking ‘No’ for an answer.” My mother said, crossing her arms.

“Whatever.” I muttered standing and walking upstairs to my room.

“Don’t act like that, honey. You’re going to like the surprise. Now, c’mon. Let’s go.” My mother said, grabbing her keys and coat, placing the empty cookie dish into the sink.

I groaned loudly, placing my hoodie over my arms. I looked at the picture hanging above the sink. It was of my mother, my father, and I. We were sitting on a bench in the park. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was one of the good days we had together, one of few. My mother keeps saying she’d take it down but I always tell her to leave it there so we’ll have good memories to remember him, other than having us sit in silence as we think of how he tore our family apart.

- Flashback -

“Don’t go too far.” My father’s voice shouted as I raced down the hill. I rushed to get to the park, the one that I loved. I hope a swing is open, or else I’d have to wait my turn. My mommy and daddy were behind me, but they still could see me. I raced to the swing, hopping onto it and struggling to swing. My legs won’t kick. My daddy began running towards me, laughing and smiling. He made me laugh and smile as he pushed me; I slowly began to fly into the air.

“Hold on!” He warned me. But I was already holding on, watching as the sunset from my swing as it went as high as the clouds. It was only 6 o’clock and my hoodie was tied tightly around my waist, the air nipping at my face but it’s okay.

"Picture time.” My mother said as we made our way to the photographer, as mommy called him; but I call him ‘big picture man’ because he just takes the pictures and gives them to us. I sat between mommy and daddy. Daddy put his arm around mommy, squishing me. But I didn’t mind! I know my Mommy and Daddy loved each other. I smiled really hard for the camera when the flash went off.

“Let’s get ice cream, now.” Daddy spoke, letting me run to the ice cream truck.

-  Flashback End  -

“If it makes you feel any better, I invited Lucas and his mother.” My mom said with her back towards me as she scrubbed the dish. She is such a clean freak, but I appreciate her. My eyes lit up at the thought of Lucas and me hanging out again. We haven’t hung out in ages. He was one of my best friends, who decided after middle school- to go to a different high school in the town over. Well, it was more of his mother’s choice.