Chapter 7: Red velvet is my weakness

Chapter 7

“Christy. Christy. Christy.” Riley nagged, pulling on her shirt sleeve, as I sat back eating popcorn.

“What do you want Riles?” She replied, yanking her sleeve from his death grip.

“I just wanted to say you make killer popcorn,” He glanced at me. “That Maverly is eating all of!” He said, snatching the bowl from me.

A scream erupted from Christy’s surround sound system causing us to flinch.

“Who just died?” Christy demanded, looking at the screen. She muttered a curse. “Riley, you just made me miss a good 2 minutes of it!” She said, grabbing the remote off of the floor.

My phone started vibrating on the purple couch we were sitting on as I grabbed it, wiping my greasy hands on my napkin. I caught it just in time. Who else calls me other than my Mother? You got that right! Nobody.

“Honey, a boy named Cyrus is calling the house, should I give him your number or is he a creep?” My mother asked, most likely grinning at the attention from Cyrus. I never was a looker, I’ve had a boyfriend and it didn’t end well, as you know. But I never caught the interest of guys, maybe one or two but never groups of guys asking me out every day.

“I guess.” I replied, stupidly, not wanting to tell her ‘no’ because then she’ll just ask why. Then she’ll explain to him with a 2 hour long conversation and maybe she’ll slip a few details about how I wet the bed until age 11.

“Okay then.” She said, hanging up. I glanced at my phone and then placed it into my pocket.

A few minutes later it buzzed, telling me about a new text message- that I wasn’t planning to answer, until it buzzed again. I ignored it until it buzzed a third time, causing me to roll my eyes and yank it out of my pocket.

Riley eyed me for a minute, probably thinking of who could be texting me when I’m hanging with my only friends aside from Lucas. My phone started ringing and I picked it up, walking towards the corner of the room where I could hear well.

“Hello, we need to talk,” Cyrus spoke. “Are you ignoring me?”

“I’m guessing yes. You guess correctly.” I snorted, hanging up the phone.

“Time to get ready!” Christy said, grinning widely as she stood in front of her closet, taking me by surprise at her swift movements. Riley groaned, stepping into the hallway.

“Do we have to go?” My and Riley asked in unison, glancing at each other. That was weird.

“Of course you do! My mother won’t let me go if you guys don’t.” She said, frowning. Riley and I rolled our eyes, frowning slightly as well. We had to attend her date with Warren as a group date, and Riley was too stupid to invite a girl and I just sat around waiting until today, hoping Warner would just have a friend tag along. But I guess not.

“How about a blue dress?” She asked, ripping out a light blue frilly dress. Our wardrobes were complete opposites; she was light and girlie while mine was darker and skater-like. But I can’t skate to save my life.

“That’s nice.” Riley said, glancing at his phone. He was doing the thing that most guys do- agree with you so you’ll be happy and they can leave quicker.

“You didn’t even look!” She stated, crossing her arms. Riley muttered something along the lines of ‘yeah whatever’ before returning to his game of Fruit Ninja.

“I like the black one.” I butted in. Although Christy and I were best friends, she rarely took my advice on clothes because she knew that if I ended up helping her get dressed up, she’ll look like she walked out of a dark realm.