Chapter Fourteen - Dinner Guests

Austin's POV

There were a lot of questions still churning in my mind after the attack and hopefully I would be able to get some of them soon. Luckily the cottage Jimmy was being held in hadn't been discovered and Bram had been questioning the boy periodically for the past few days without any luck. It seemed the kid had been asking for me saying he'd only answer questions for me, but I wasn't about to leave Casper's side so instead Jimmy was on his way to the apartment with Niko as an escort.

Casper was in the kitchen cooking a meal for all of us after I told him Jimmy's story. He wanted to make sure he had a proper meal and desert I didn't bother to argue. "Do you think he likes pizza?" Casper called out to me.

"I'm sure he does. Doesn't every kid love pizza?" I'd been surprised when Casper insisted on making the pizza and garlic bread from scratch rather than order something from the pizza place down the street. He'd added fresh toppings of mushrooms, chicken and peppers and topped off with cheese. It smelled wonderful as it cooked in the oven. The garlic bread was ready to be warmed up when our guests arrived and a salad was being prepared to accompany our meal. 

The buzzer for the door rang and I looked at the small screen on the panel by the door. Niko was standing beside a frightened looking Jimmy. I pressed the door release for the main door downstairs and left the apartment door off the latch for them while I went to inform Casper that our guests had arrived.

"They're here, why don't you leave that for a moment and come meet Jimmy." I led him into the living area where Niko and Jimmy had just entered. "Hello Niko did you have any trouble getting over here?" I asked.

"No, there was no one following us." Niko seated himself on a chair and crossed a leg over one knee.

"Jimmy," I smiled at the young boy and gestured for him to come closer, when he did I introduced him to Casper. "Jimmy, this is my mate Casper. Casper this is Jimmy."

Jimmy looked at Casper wide-eyed. "You mated a man? Is that allowed?" He whispered the last part.

"Yes it's allowed. Some packs frown on it but it's not an issue in this pack. Did you never come across mated men before?" I asked him.

"No. My dad always said I had to mate a female and give him grandpups." He pouted slightly and I wondered why his father had been persistent about the gender of his partner.

"Two males that are mated can have a pup too. I'll explain it all to you later but I think that dinner will be ready soon." 

"I'll go and put the garlic bread in the oven to heat," Casper said. "I hope you like pizza Jimmy."

"Pizza? I haven't had pizza in forever, it used to be my favourite." He grinned widely and followed Casper into the kitchen with an offer to help.

"Has Bram managed to get anything out of him?" I asked Niko.

"No. He hasn't said a thing except that he wants to see you." Niko sat forward in his seat. "I have to admit that I'm not happy about him being here." He looked into the kitchen where Casper could be seen cutting the pizza into slices while happily talking to Jimmy.

"Why do you say that?" I sat across from Niko and waited for his answer.

"That kid was sent here to kill you by Casper's abusive ex. Now he's in Casper's apartment with you both. If he wanted to do anything this would be his perfect opportunity." Niko narrowed his eyes at me. "I hope you know what you're doing."

"I do. He's a good kid he just had a terrible start to his life as a shifter." 

"Do you two want a drink while you're waiting?" Casper asked.