Chapter Four - Seeing What's Coming

A/N: Hi everyone, sorry this is a short chapter but I wanted to get something up for you all and my head is still not fully in gear.

Thank you all for being so patient with the fact that I couldn't update this last week, as some of you know, my partner's father passed away last week so I wasn't able to write anything. Sorry about the numerous mistakes that you'll probably find in this chapter but it was written in the last few hours and I haven't been able to check it over for mistakes.

Austin's POV

I could kick myself for not searching the area more closely. I should have trusted my nose, a scent can't just vanish. I growled in frustration and pulled myself out of the underground tunnel. The damn thing ran from where we'd lost Jason's scent all the way to the other side of the woods where there was a main road. Jason had finally been able to get in touch with Bram and had told him he was being kept underground. By the time we'd gotten back to where his scent ended and realized that the large boulder hid the entrance to the tunnel it was already too late. Jason had been moved.

"Search the tunnel for anything that might have been left behind, the smallest thing could help us track where they're going next," I yelled on my way to where Bram was standing staring at the endless road. "Do you see anything?" Looking at the road I couldn't make out anything helpful. Several tire tracks were visible where a vehicle had either slowed down or sped up suddenly but they appeared to be from more than one vehicle and were therefore worthless to us right now.

"No," Bram sighed. I was startled when he turned and punched the trunk of a nearby tree. I could hear the wood cracking and cringed at the thought of what he may have done to his hand. "He's not answering me."

"We'll find him Bram, we're not going to give up until we do." I placed a hand on his shoulder giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Alpha, Beta," we both turned when we heard our titles being called. Peter ran up to us with a bowl in his hands. "I found this in one of the cells." 

Bram snatched the bowl up and held it to his nose inhaling deeply. A ferocious growl rang through the area and he threw the bowl down, shifted and ran south alongside the road. Curious, I picked up the bowl and sniffed at it. I could scent Jason along with another wolf and underneath that I could just make out the bitter scent of a sedative. Bram must have been drugged before being moved.

"I want half of you to head north along this road, the rest of you will follow me south. Bram has a head start on us but we'll meet up with him. Contact me the minute you see or scent anything that could help us find Jason." I shifted easily since I was still naked from my last shift and ran in the direction Bram had gone. I could hear feet running behind me and was confident that our pack mates were following behind us.

I wasn't giving up until I could bring my brother home.

Casper's POV ...Two Weeks Later...

It had been over two weeks since Reggie had threatened me, it was also the last time I'd seen Austin. He'd contacted me through the link on a number of occasions and had reassured me he was fine even though he didn't sound it. He sounded worried and scared, he wasn't the only one to feel that way. I'd been getting daily phone calls from a number I didn't recognise, at first I'd answered and had immediately regretted it. Just remembering that first call sent shivers of fear through me.

"Hello, baby." My body froze in fear at the sound of that all too familiar voice. "You've been gone for long enough, quit this foolishness and get your ass home where it belongs." 

I'd been unable to reply, my voice locked away by the shock and dread running through me. "Don't make me have to come and get you I've already lost a few of my pets while testing your pack's security but I have a lot more ready to tear them to pieces. I've made some interesting allies, you don't want to cross me Casper or your new friends will feel a world of pain when I come to collect you."

"No!" I choked out collapsing onto the chair behind me. I knew what his 'pets' were capable of, I also knew what they were

Rogues.

I remembered hearing that the pack was having a problem with an increasing number of rogues in recent weeks. It was my fault, those rogues were deliberately being set loose on this pack because of me.

I looked up at the pack house before me and took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. I couldn't avoid this anymore I needed to tell someone. I rang the doorbell and waited anxiously for the door to open.

"Hello Casper, dear. I've been waiting for you to get here won't you come in." Nancy Hunt ushered me into the house and I followed her to a cozy living room. "Take a seat and I'll make you some coffee. Black with two sugars, yes?" 

I looked at her, confused to say the least. She said she was waiting for me, how did she know I was coming when I'd only decided half an hour ago to come and how did she know exactly how I liked my coffee? This lady was giving me the shivers. "Yes, please." I hesitated before finally taking a seat on a chair facing the sofa it also had a good view of the entrance to the room.

While I waited for her return I looked around the room, the furniture was comfortable with deep cushions that you could just sink into and the rug was a thick wool of blended colors, there were blues and greens with a speckling of yellow and orange mixed in that gave off a bright but warm affect. There was a large sound system to one corner of the room below what looked to be extensive music and movie collections. The flat screen TV didn't dominate the room but it was large enough that you couldn't miss seeing it when you walked into the room.

Nancy came back carrying two cups and set one on the end table near my elbow. I waited until she was seated and asked her the question that was echoing around my head. "How-"

"Did I know you were coming," she interrupted finishing my question. "I'm a seer, I know a lot of things that haven't happened yet. I know that you're bringing trouble that's going to affect this pack and my family in particular. Maurice has eyes and ears within this pack, he's found a new ally in one who seeks another new addition to our pack."

"If you know what's going to happen and who's involved then why can't you stop it? Apprehend those involved," I asked.

"I can't change what's going to happen it is inevitable. I have seen what could happen if we interfere now and believe me when I say that it is much worse. More lives will be lost and I will lose more than one member of my family. As much as it hurts me to do nothing, it is for the best," she said solemnly.

"So that's it? I just sit back and wait for Maurice to attack?" 

"Yes. But you must tell Austin everything. He needs to know what you've been through and what to expect. Don't let your guard down, a fight is coming but it will only be a battle and not the war."

Nancy was talking in riddles and I was finding it hard to understand her. I concentrated on the parts of what she'd said that I could understand. "But I can't tell Austin. He's not here and it's really something that I need to say in person. I don't want to worry him further when he's already out there looking for his brother."

"Jason will be home soon, you must tell Austin the moment you see him. Now drink your coffee before it gets cold, then you can tell me your recipe for those delicious chocolate cherry brownies. The pack pups have fallen in love with them." Nancy relaxed back into her seat bringing her mug to her lips to take a sip.

"They've found Jason?" I asked astonished.

"No, but they will. I've seen him coming home but not where they're keeping him. Even I can't see everything," she admitted.

Austin's POV ...Another Two Weeks Later...

The warm water felt like heaven running over my weary body. I was dead on my feet but I didn't have time to go to bed yet, I wanted to go see Casper. He hadn't been answering his phone in the last week and I was too far away from him to use the link but now, finally I was home and my brother was safe in his mate's arms. I craved my own mate.

I hopped out of the shower and rushed through brushing my teeth and drying myself off. I dressed in jeans and an orange T-shirt with brown hiking boots. I was on my way to see Casper within ten minutes of stepping out of the shower.