I'll stand by you

A/N- shoutout goes to AwaseIyol thank you so much, your comments mean a lot!

WARNING self harm scenes in this chapter

Zoe's POV

I was just drifting off to sleep for the first time when Niall's alarm clock went off and he woke up sleepily.

"Morning" I said tiredly.

Niall's made a small unaudible noise but it didn't sound very positive.

"Cmon Niall you've got to get up" I said, patting his shoulder slightly.

"Why? Things will only go wrong" he mumbled.

"No they won't, you've got an interview today haven't you? They're always fun" I pointed out.

"But I'll mess up"

"No you won't, you're brilliant at that kind of thing" I said and got out of the bed. "I've got to get ready for school"

"Wait, Zoe" Niall called after me, sitting up in bed.

"Yeah?"

"It really is hard, to get out of bed in the morning. Sorry if I give you a tough time" he apologised.

"Why is it so difficult?"

"I don't know...it's like my brain is telling me if I get out of bed something is bound to go wrong. I am safe here, nothing can hurt me" he said softly.

"Niall, no one is going to hurt you. Now when I come back I expect you to be dressed and ready for the interview" I smiled at him and he obviously tried to smile back but I could see the pain in his eyes.

I sighed and walked into my room, bumping into Liam on the way.

"Hey Zo...you were staying with Niall last night?" He asked.

"Yeah...I needed to ask him about, ummm, about guitar and we fell asleep talking" I made up on the spot.

"Okay" Liam looked unsure but let it pass. "You walking to school?"

"Yeah" I nodded and carried on walking towards my bedroom.

I quickly changed out of my pyjamas and brushed my teeth. I brushed my hair before going back to Niall's room. He had changed into some skinny jeans and a grey jumper. The sleeves were up slightly and he was playing with the bandages on his wrists.

I walked over to him and sat down next to him.

"Hey" I said softly.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that last night" he said sadly.

"At least I can now help you" I pointed out.

"I hope you can help me Zo, because I can't fix myself anymore" he looked down and pulled the sleeves over his arms. "You won't tell anyone will you?"

"Of course not, not if you don't want me to. But if you want to keep it a secret you better keep those sleeves down during the interview"

He nodded and I checked my watch and realised I was late for school. I stood up and kissed the top of his head.

"I promise I'll be back soon" I said.

"You'll be here when I get home then?" He asked hopefully.

"Promise" I said and hugged him tightly before waving and leaving the room.

I walked quickly out the house and to school. I was a bit late and everyone stared at me as I entered the classroom. Cmon, I'm five minutes late. You don't need to stare at me like I just killed five people.