Chapter 20- Puck

Weeks had past since Thunder and Puck had tried to persuade Thor to give up his evil ways. Puck looked around Thor's study for the hundredth time, examining the many weapons, ropes, papers, and anything else Thor had in the mess. It was hard to see the papers on Thor's desk from his angle in the bear cage, but he could make out a few words such as "plan" or "Crew" or "Destroy" and "Main floor switch." This one confused Puck the most. Main floor switch? Puck suspected that these were Thor's attack plans. What did a "main floor switch" have anything to do with anything?

At least Thor came in the study once a day, giving Puck food and water, but Puck still refused to believe that this is what his brother had become. He's better than this...just what has happened to him?

To make matters worse, Puck was still haunted by the same dream, the one about the Spirit of Mira. His father told him the story again and again every night in his sleep. Puck could hardly go a day without thinking about the dream. He still felt that it meant something, but he didn't know what.

Puck wasn't sure what had happened to Thunder that day many weeks ago. Did Thor trap him? Did he escape to the Crew?

So many things were bothering Puck, he couldn't concentrate. And he was too afraid to ask Thor anything. He'd hadn't talked to Thor since Thor let his powers burn him.

Puck opened his hand and let a couple of snowflakes hover above it. He had ice powers. Thor had fire powers. Direct opposite powers meaning if Puck got too hot, he could die and if Thor got too cold, he could die. It was hard. And powers were so hard to control. It took all of Puck's willpower to hide his powers when Twinkle blew away, when he and Thunder were kidnapped by The Crew, when Thor burnt the house down, killing his parents. Puck didn't know if he could hold it in any longer. Tears ran down his cheeks. He had to. If the world found out he and his siblings had powers, they might send them away for fear of them being dangerous or put them in a zoo or museum or science lab for study. He couldn't be the cause of that. He had to control it, but even now little snowflakes were wavering around him. How could he, given all the things that had happened to him? He was only 5 and Thor, who was 11, still had trouble controlling his power!

Puck knew that some powers were easier at controlling than others. Thunder had electricity powers and he could control those by the time he was Pucks age. Sure sometimes Thunder let it show a little, but nothing major. The Westens had adopted Twinkle when she was 2, and she had gotten her powers the moment Puck's dad had signed the legal papers. Twinkle had light powers, and she already had hers completely controlled, and it had only been a year!

The reason Puck and his siblings had powers was because of Mira's curse. Puck thought back to his dreams and shuddered. Mira had said that the powers would make the siblings hated and feared by all people. Was this really going to happen?

Puck wiped his eyes and sniffed. It was going to be okay. The Crew would find him and make this all right. Puck's mind went back to his powers. Out of boredom Puck made the snowflakes around him swirl and loop. Thor had fire powers. Thunder had electricity powers. Twinkle had light powers. And Puck had.... Ice powers. Everyone else's powers had to do with heat. His....didn't. Puck had always wondered why, maybe Thor knew. But no. He couldn't ask Thor.

As if on cue, Thor came into the room and grabbed some papers off of his desk. Puck eyed him closely. Something seemed different about him..... Not just with the fact he's become so mean, but also with his looks. What's different? Puck couldn't place it.

Thor left the room, leaving Puck to ponder what he'd just seen. Thor had definitely looked different but Puck couldn't say what it was.

Puck slowly fell into a uncomfortable sleep, once again dreaming about his father's story about Mira. Puck tossed and turned in his sleep as his father recited all of the horrible things Mira had cured him with.

"Remember this Puck. Mira has the power to turn someone's strongest feelings into the opposite of what they are. She has the power to turn great hate into great love...but she also had the power to turn great love into great hate. Remember that."