Chapter 23: Kid finds Cora?

Cora's POV

"I hope you don't mind Lord Death telling Spirit and I to tag along this first time," Stein said as he unlocked the barred door that keeps me locked up.

"Oh, no problem, I'm just glad to get out of this room," I replied.

"The truth is, Lord Death wants us to show you something downtown," Spirit re-locked the door behind me and we started our way up the stairs that led us to ground level.

I hadn't realized how much colder it is down in my little room under the academy. The desert above was a little hot for my liking (even though it was around midnight). "So, uh, how's Kid?" I asked my two chaperones.

"He isn't talking much, to tell you the complete truth," Spirit said.

"Yes, his grades are dropping too," Stein added.

I felt bad for him. I mean, sure I'm sad, but that's just because I miss him. He is sad because he literally thinks I'm gone forever. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole 'never seeing anyone except Stein and Spirit' thing will take its toll on me, but I'm more worried for Kid.

We made our way through the town and Spirit even bought me an iced coffee. They were being really nice, for some reason. Not that they're normally rude or anything but they're going out of their way to keep my happy. Like Spirit bought me this coffee and Stein keeps giving me compliments about how well I'm doing in captivity, it's weird.

"They had a funeral for you today at noon," Spirit said out of nowhere.

"Who did?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Lord Death paid for it but Maka and Crona planned it," Stein explained.

"So, this is what Lord Death wanted you two to show me, huh?" I said looking down at a freshly dug grave and a tomb stone that didn't pop up out of the ground but just laid even with it.

CORA PASCALE MORTEM

1997-2013

Aged 16 years

WITCH MAGIC

Is what it read. The dirt around it looks to have been dug up. Lord Death must've bought a cheap coffin to make it look authentic.

All of a sudden Stein and Spirit both grabbed one of my arms and dragged me back to behind a large branch of an old evergreen tree. It was the only one in all of Death City and it was really big and old. The branch the two teachers dragged me behind was large enough to cover all three of us easily. I turned around and looked through the needles of the tree and saw Kid. He was on his knees on the freshly turned dirt that laid on my coffin that didn't harbor my body like all of Death City thought it did. His eyes were stained red like he had obviously been crying for a while.

He placed a bouquet of roses on the mud and he cleared the few pine needles off of the stone that had my name on it. "Just came to talk for awhile, got some things I want to say," he said out loud, pausing between just about every word. "I feel like it's all my fault. I keep running through the battle with Medusa over and over again in my mind and if I had just transformed, maybe pushed you out of the way maybe, we'd both still be here."

I felt my eyes weld up the tears, they jerked at my eyes and I couldn't keep them back. Just seeing Kid again and how he has been blaming himself, I don't know I just want to run out there and tell him it isn't.

"I know that if you were here you'd tell me it isn't my fault, that there wasn't anything I could've doneo but, I'm your weapon I was there to keep you safe!" Kid started to wipe tears away from his eyes as he finished his speech.

I looked up to Spirit an Stein with pleading eyes. They shook their heads 'no' in unison at whatever I was asking. I'm not even sure what I was asking. I just wanted to turn back time and kill that asshole, Medusa.

"Hey, Cora, I remembered your birthday," Kid rubbed his eyes one more time and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a red velvet box that he opened and placed on my tomb stone. It was a necklace that had the old Shibusen skull on it. It had red jewels in it's eyes and more dangling around the silver chain.

Spirit looked over at Stein and mouthed something I couldn't make out. Stein shook his head 'no' like he had before and Spirit looked away with the same pleading look I had had.

"I had the red jewels added 'cause I remembered red was you favorite color." Kid said forcing a smile but had tears running down his cheeks.

That's all I could take, I burst out into tears and jumped on my feet to run out to hug Kid. Good thing Stein has such fast reflexes because he caught me and put a firm hand over my mouth to quiet my sobbing.

I saw Kid look up over here and start walking over.

"What's going on back there?" He pushed the branch away, revealing our position.

"Oh! Kid!" Spirit pretended to be surprised.

"Who is that?" Kid asked pointing to my trench coat covered body.

"Just a little girl who cant find her way home," Stein explained.

"And why are you out so late?" Spirit asked Kid, who was wiping his eyes.

He turned around and pointed to my grave, "Soul said I should say what's on my mind, but I couldn't bring myself to do it during the day where everyone could hear me."

"Oh, I'm really sorry about this. I really wish we could've saved her." Spirit said about me, the girl only he, Stein and Lord Death knew was still alive.

"Thanks," Kid smiled," I hope you get home alright, little one," he patted my head. Little did he know he was touching the girl he longed to see just one more time. I was on my knees so the 'little girl' act was more believable; nevertheless, I felt like I was lying to him by not saying anything.

"Thanks, mister" I said in my best little girl voice.

"Well you better be getting home, Kid, it's past curfew."

" I will," Kid turned around and ran towards my old home, jumping across my grave.

......x.X......

As Stein and Spirit left me in my room I started hearing the two people talking again, this time they were closer so I could hear them better.

"Kyla," someone said.

I walked up to the barred door and put my ear up to it.

"Yes, Lady?" A different girl answered.

"The time has come, Medusa wants you to eliminate Death The Kid, take his soul and eat it."

~~~~~~

IT'S STILL TECHNICALLY MONDAY 11:59!!

Comment, Vote, Fan

~DeathTheGirl88 <3